What's new

Plugged In, NOT Charging, Why?

Everytime I plugged in the charging cable, the SP2 immediately notices it, and the battery icon shows "plugged in", but it also indicates "not charging". I have to restart the SP2, then it'll show "plugged in, charging".
Thanks,

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
When you plug it in what IS the % reading.
Like 95% plugged in not charging
Or 94% plugged in charging

toaf

something is wacked with the settings, ive noticed allot of times while mine is docked (with power cover) is kinda does whatever it wants. ive even seen battery 1 20% not charging battery 2 98% charging. i do think if you mess with the power settings, it kinda kicks it in the butt and then it works right and i have only noticed odd charging while docked

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
something is wacked with the settings, ive noticed allot of times while mine is docked (with power cover) is kinda does whatever it wants. ive even seen battery 1 20% not charging battery 2 98% charging. i do think if you mess with the power settings, it kinda kicks it in the butt and then it works right and i have only noticed odd charging while docked
I'll assume for your description you were not plugged in so both the SP and cover were running on battery. I don't have one but this is how another device I have works in that scenario. the cover will discharge charging the tablet. So you could have 20% in the cover not charging and 98% in the tablet charging.

toaf

no, it has been doing some wacky things, hope it gets a fix. i know its backwards maybe just maybe the battery 1 and 2 got swapped somehow. and i have been docked the few times ive seen it go wacky. im not worried about it myself just trying to give idea that might help the poster

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Without a battery cover the SP while plugged in, to optimize battery life, will stop charging once it is fully charged. It will not charge again until the battery drops below 95%. I don't think this happens the second it reaches 100% and the 95% number may vary some as well because it appears the sampling rate is maybe every minute or so.

States I have observed: 100% charging, 100% not charging, 9x% charging, 9x% not charging.

toaf

Untitled-2.jpg

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
see wacky things, that was after about a hour of Gameplay. in docking station
This with the stock power plan and no battery tweaking apps installed? My Lenovo Laptop will let me choose a battery management plan that would do that... OR ... yours is just weird. :) Id run it past MS Surface support to see what they can make of it.

I Dont know why this is happening but i am also getting this Plugged in, not charging error and the battery is not being charged , then i check the charger and its pins there seems to be that the charging pins are stuck in , and i have to use a pin to get it out, this is very bad considering this is such a high end product ! , i have to fiddle with the charging connection to make it work. can it be any worse than this ! :(

Thinking of buying a 24W charger as a backup. hopefully it will be able to charge the SP2

toaf

This with the stock power plan and no battery tweaking apps installed? My Lenovo Laptop will let me choose a battery management plan that would do that... OR ... yours is just weird. :) Id run it past MS Surface support to see what they can make of it.

it is 100% stock no apps, it does not bug me. just letting people know they are not alone
ok details cuz' the type of details might help

go to work 100% battery 1 and 2 default battery saver
get hone from work. drop it in docking station. batteries at #1 100% and #2 40%

change battery settings to high performance ( it starts charging battery 2)

game for 3 hours. undock station. battery at #1 36% #2 100%

change battery setting to default battery saver

mess around 1 hour, plug it in (non-docking station)
battery at #1 73% 2 58%

wake up....

rinse repeat

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
it is 100% stock no apps, it does not bug me. just letting people know they are not alone
ok details cuz' the type of details might help

go to work 100% battery 1 and 2 default battery saver
get hone from work. drop it in docking station. batteries at #1 100% and #2 40%

change battery settings to high performance ( it starts charging battery 2)

game for 3 hours. undock station. battery at #1 36% #2 100%

change battery setting to default battery saver

mess around 1 hour, plug it in (non-docking station)
battery at #1 73% 2 58%

wake up....

rinse repeat
Curious... does powercfg /batteryreport give details on both batteries? if it does id save a few days worth then open a case with Microsoft and send them in. yes, I know you'd rather be poked in the eye with a fork. well just a thought.