What's new

Pro 3 Pen coming and going within seconds to minutes

Markus Stenemo

I am having a problem with the pen coming and going within seconds to minutes when using it in various programs.
It is working fine most of the time, but sometimes it stops working completely, only to start working again a few seconds (or minutes) later. Has anyone experienced this?

InspectHerGadget

I had this happen to mine, and it was the clincher in getting me to return it. Unfortunately at the time I both needed the pen and was showing off the handwriting to a customer. I also had issues with palm rejection and wasn't a fan of the writing compared to the SP2.

Looking at the number of threads about the pen, I'd say the pen itself is going to cause users some grief. It is another lot of electronics to go wrong unlike the passive pen of earlier models.

I'm not sure what caused this to happen but it happened twice during the day and the problem resolved each time. It had up until then not done this for over the week I had it.

One thread just posted the O.P. Had a writing pressure issue eventually solved by pulling the tip out and replacing it. Aside from battery replacement this is about the only other thing you can do.

Maybe you should post a poll and see how common this is? It could we both were experiencing faults others haven't had or it could be just a normal but undesired feature of the pen that surfaces sometimes.

I wonder too if these pens are subject to electronic interference from other nearby devices.

OP
M

Markus Stenemo

Turned out that it was the battery! Did not seem like it due to it working fine for several minutes in some cases. Surprised the battery gave out so fast, but It is Working now.

Last edited:

Striknine

I had an issue with my pen too. While writing it would skip every once in a while interrupting my writing. Also it would just disconnect at different times when I really needed to use it. I took my surface pro 3 back twice now because of this and other issues. I am not quite sold on the new pen yet.