What's new

Returning both Surface Pro 3's we got at work...

godson594

As much as I LOVE the screen res, size and weight of the surface pro 3… It's just not going to cut it right now.

My work ordered 2, 1 for me and a co-worker.

Problems:

1. Both got the WiFi bug (had to rollback drivers to get online)
2. The SP3 seemed to lag in Photoshop for me when I worked with high res files (my surface pro 2 does't)
3. N-Trig - Thou it's fine for note taking, I hate how it drags on the screen and I couldn't do typography good with it - if anyone says the pressure levels don't matter they are blind.
4. Multi monitor - Dragging mouse from surface screen to the external. The mouse pointer sticks before going to next screen. This only happened on one of the units. I read it's a windows 8.1 bug - but it doesn't happen on my SP2 or my SP3, only happened on co-workers spy.
5. Android SDK - The unit wouldn't let me debug a Nexus 5

Fixes:
There are fixes for 1,2,4 & 5 - I have no time to deal with registry tweaks, rolling back drivers, finding drivers for every device I need to debug.

-----

I really loved the screen and weight. It's going to be hard to go back to my spy after this but I refuse to go through a bunch of tweaks hacks and fixes to make this usable for how I work. I know it will be fine for most people.

Seneleron

I have no time to deal with registry tweaks, rolling back drivers, finding drivers for every device I need to debug.

You don't have 10-15 minutes?

I'm gonna go way out on a limb here and say "enjoy going back to your Mac".

Except #5, because I've never had to deal with it, though I could make a few semi-educated guesses.

Klownicle

As much as I LOVE the screen res, size and weight of the surface pro 3… It's just not going to cut it right now.

My work ordered 2, 1 for me and a co-worker.

Problems:

1. Both got the WiFi bug (had to rollback drivers to get online)
2. The SP3 seemed to lag in Photoshop for me when I worked with high res files (my surface pro 2 does't)
3. N-Trig - Thou it's fine for note taking, I hate how it drags on the screen and I couldn't do typography good with it - if anyone says the pressure levels don't matter they are blind.
4. Multi monitor - Dragging mouse from surface screen to the external. The mouse pointer sticks before going to next screen. This only happened on one of the units. I read it's a windows 8.1 bug - but it doesn't happen on my SP2 or my SP3, only happened on co-workers spy.
5. Android SDK - The unit wouldn't let me debug a Nexus 5

Fixes:
There are fixes for 1,2,4 & 5 - I have no time to deal with registry tweaks, rolling back drivers, finding drivers for every device I need to debug.

-----

I really loved the screen and weight. It's going to be hard to go back to my spy after this but I refuse to go through a bunch of tweaks hacks and fixes to make this usable for how I work. I know it will be fine for most people.

I find it idiotic to return devices with post-launch jitters (short of a known hardware failure). So what, the device has problems, Microsoft has been fantastic with updates to the Surface line and I expect nothing less in the coming months. So unless this was the ONLY device you have, I would have held on to it and waited it out. If you are so dependent on a device you shouldn't have bought it at launch. Never assume that a device won't have problems at launch, regardless of company. If you can't deal with any probable issues buy it after a couple months of release date.

The rest is your own fault.

You don't have 10-15 minutes?

I'm gonna go way out on a limb here and say "enjoy going back to your Mac".

Except #5, because I've never had to deal with it, though I could make a few semi-educated guesses.

If you read his profile he has a SP2 :)

Last edited:

benjitek

As much as I LOVE the screen res, size and weight of the surface pro 3… It's just not going to cut it right now
Doesn't seem to be turning out to be the best device to be an early adopter of -- wait for the Broadwell version and revisit it :-(

fonzman78

I find it idiotic to return devices with post-launch jitters (short of a known hardware failure).

Not really idiotic. Some folks just don't have time to wait for updates or spend time troubleshooting. To be honest, they shouldn't have to do this. In a perfect world, our devices would be problem free from day one.

I think it's best when someone realizes that a device won't work for them and moves along.

OP
G

godson594

Yea call it idiotic if you want doesn't matter to me. I'll bring you up to speed… I roughed out the Surface Pro 2 and spent numerous hours fixing and tweaking it and I'm on my THIRD SP2 due to bad hardware… So sorry I don't feel like repeating that with the SP3 :)

How is any of it my fault? Microsoft released a day one patch that killed our wifi which required me (the consumer) to dig for answers on how to fix it.

I'm a busy guy, I work in a hectic startup environment. I don't have time to fix Microsoft's issues.

Good news was they returned them no questions asked.

As far as the "Enjoy going back to your Mac" - I ^*(^& hate OSX but unfortunately I have to use what works for now. So Macbook for half my work and my Sp2 for the rest.

benjitek

How is any of it my fault? Microsoft released a day one patch that killed our wifi which required me (the consumer) to dig for answers on how to fix it.
It's not -- that poster's response was totally inappropriate given your situation :-(

chrsb

I may be missing something here, but what's wrong with buying a product and expecting it to work? What's wrong with not having to search forums for workarounds to make a product work. What bothers me is the defensive remarks when someone is disappointed their new $1,500 product doesn't work. Mine's shelved for now waiting on a July update, the constant freezing and crashing of windows explorer and slow internet speeds makes it unusable. I shouldn't have to troubleshoot my brand new machine, it should just work right out of the box. Oh, I don't care if it's brand new, that's what betas are for, if MS wants me to debug their computer, they should have given it to me for free.

DanL

Mine's shelved for now waiting on a July update, the constant freezing and crashing of windows explorer and slow internet speeds makes it unusable.

That sounds like you got a dud and I would be taking it back for exchange, not waiting for an update.

fonzman78

That sounds like you got a dud and I would be taking it back for exchange, not waiting for an update.

Absolutely agree. Why would you shelve it till July? That's $1500 that is wasting away on a shelf. You are still in any 15 or 30 day return period. I would do like Godson and take it back before it's too late.

OP
G

godson594

I may be missing something here, but what's wrong with buying a product and expecting it to work? What's wrong with not having to search forums for workarounds to make a product work. What bothers me is the defensive remarks when someone is disappointed their new $1,500 product doesn't work. Mine's shelved for now waiting on a July update, the constant freezing and crashing of windows explorer and slow internet speeds makes it unusable. I shouldn't have to troubleshoot my brand new machine, it should just work right out of the box. Oh, I don't care if it's brand new, that's what betas are for, if MS wants me to debug their computer, they should have given it to me for free.

Exactly - I went through a nightmare with my SP2 and I regret not getting my money back. I didn't want to be stuck with another half baked device. I LOVE the concept of the Surface, I was really hoping the SP3 would be amazing. But for me it makes sense to wait til the kinks are worked out, I don't depend on Microsoft to release quick fixes.

chrsb you may want to try and return yours. Sounds way worse then what I was seeing :(