What's new

Rugged case that works with Docking station??

nipponham

Charging is not done through the dock - use the same Microsoft portable charger (brick and cord) you always use. The dock provides multiple monitor support and multiple USB 3.0 and 2.0 ports via a single USB 3.0 connection to your SP3. The dock is extremely lightweight.
There are two versions, correct? I thought the powered one was able to charge your device as well... if not, what is the difference between the two?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
One more thing - the dock is tapered into a delta to allow a PC or mac to rest upon it, if desired. Makes a comfortable stand for some laptops. The SP3 has its own stand, of course.

Lots of good pictures on the manufacturer's site, posted above.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I do not have experience with any other versions of this universal, portable dock. The SP3 does not charge through USB, so you still must use your SP3 power adapter.

nipponham

Finally figured it out. The powered version does indeed have the ability to recharge a number of machines, but the Surface line is not one of them. Neither are Macs apparently because Apple will not license their MagSafe connectors to be used.

richie

Just wondering Sharpcolorado, with the armor case can the built in stand be used as a handle? That would be cool to hold the surface in one hand steady while drawing with the other.
Thanks

SGrant

I am grateful for my red UAG case. Though I have dropped my SP3 numerous times, the protection from the case and the armor glass screen protector prevented damage. My husband dropped his from cocktail table height without a case or screen protector and his screen cracked. The case and screen protector are more than worth their expense.

The red fiber skin on the front and back of your keyboard is GREAT! Where did you find it? After seeing yours I searched unsuccessfully for one.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I am grateful for my red UAG case. Though I have dropped my SP3 numerous times, the protection from the case and the armor glass screen protector prevented damage. My husband dropped his from cocktail table height without a case or screen protector and his screen cracked. The case and screen protector are more than worth their expense.

The red fiber skin on the front and back of your keyboard is GREAT! Where did you find it? After seeing yours I searched unsuccessfully for one.

Stickerboy.net for the red fiber skin.

johnj2803

will the UAG case work woth the new dock for the sp4?

I currently have a UAG case and the sp3 dock, and contemplating of getting the new one just because i can use it as a dock and a charger.

I have been using my sp3 with decals too and have not been using the UAG case. But i still want to be able to use it tho, hence the contemplation of the new dock.

SGrant

Stickerboy.net for the red fiber skin.
I looked at Stickerboy but did not see a skin that appeared to be laser cut to the keyboard. Is it specifically cut for the SP3 keyboard, or is it cut for a small notebook and happens to fit the SP3 keyboard?