What's new

Rumored leak of a forthcoming 8.1 start menu.

Matt

I like the mock up. As long as I have the option to continue to use the MUI on the surface I will likely use the start menu on the desktop pc.

Agree that nested tiles should have been available from the off. Both android and ios allow folders for apps after all.

goodintentions

In a way, I can understand why so many people hated not having a start menu. In one of my previous jobs, for april fools joke I wrote a small program that hides the task bar. Sent it out to my friends. The result was... sad. Almost all of them were so lost without the task bar. One woman was almost in tears and another man threatened a lawsuit. I was like relax people it was just a joke and here is how you bring it back.

scottysize

I miss miss miss my start button. I am constantly trying to find things in Windows 8 and I've been in the IT industry for 14 years.

equake

Current desktop app installers create a myriad of icons in folders and the Start Screen is not well organized to display these so the Start Menu by default helps with this context. In the tablet world its different because only a handful of apps are being used and mostly single tasked i.e. Ipad. Try organizing and finding an App on the IPad when you have hundreds of Apps its not easy even if you organize folders.

Most office/Professional work requires heavy multitasking and requires better organizing than the Start Screen.

my 2 cents.