What's new

Running the heck out of an i3.

VickiFL

I am a home school teacher, and run my SP3 (i3) ALL day long. At least 12 hours a day, sometimes a little longer, but sometimes less. It never sleeps, the screensaver just pops up, and I occasionally turn it off for a little while here and there. So, used for school and personal use.

My SP3 specs:

Intel Core 1.50GHz (i3)
4GB RAM
64 bit OS x 64 based processor
Win 8.1 Pro

My SP3 is used mostly for web browsing and video/music, One Note, and some apps, no gaming of any kind. I have felt it get warm in the upper right hand corner, but only hot if I'm doing a Netflix marathon. I know the i7 can have overheating issues, but am still concerned about my i3.

I'm concerned about over working my new SP3. This is an expensive computer, but I do have the 2 year Microsoft warranty. I have an appointment this Saturday because the pen has already stopped working. (the purple top click part) It still writes on One Note just fine, though. I also want to consult with them about the printer issue. (I posted that in a different thread) I've been reading around the forums, and read the "yellow line" thread, and glad to say I don't know what that is, but hope that the pen issue isn't a sign of more negative issues to come, possibly due to my usage.

I've only owned this SP3 about a month, and the pen has already stopped working. That really disappoints me, but I do still really love my SP3.

Am I over doing it/hurting it by using it so many hours a day?

ctitanic

Using it won't damage it.

About the pen, press the top button for few seconds, it the LED under the clip does not go on you may need to change the batteries from that portion.

pen (2).png

OP
VickiFL

VickiFL

I thought different batteries ran the top purple part? The bottom part still works just fine.

The people at the Microsoft Store said the top batteries were not user replaceable.

OP
VickiFL

VickiFL

Ok, I understand now thank you, but why did the people at the MS store say those batteries are not user replaceable?

OP
VickiFL

VickiFL

Thank you. :)

One more question, please. What about leaving it plugged in all the time? (when it's at 100% charged) I was discouraged from doing this with my old laptop because they said it was bad for battery.

ctitanic

Thank you. :)

One more question, please. What about leaving it plugged in all the time? (when it's at 100% charged) I was discouraged from doing this with my old laptop because they said it was bad for battery.
That won't damage your SP3 but it's recommend once a month to discharge it up to 10%.

OP
VickiFL

VickiFL

Great, thank you very much for putting my mind at ease. :)

I'm still going to my appointment on Saturday to talk to them about the printer issue since I got nowhere on their phone support regarding that issue. I'd rather shoot myself than have to call Epson tech support ever again.