Shut down SP3 properly or just close the type cover

• Shut down SP3

Votes: 28 37.3%
  • Close type cover

Votes: 47 62.7%

• Total voters

Tatletz

Hi guys,

Just curious if you properly shut down your SP3 when finished working with it, or (like me most of the time) simply close the type cover. Does it make any difference which way you do it, any benefits or not? Thank you for your input!

PS. I wanted to start a poll, but don't know how.

kundas1

well I just close the cover, then when I need/want the SP3 flip it open and bam! SP3 comes on almost instantly, I feel (others might not) that shutting down is just unnecessary and longer to get back into your SP3...

If it's plugged in, I just close the cover. On battery power, I power it off. The boot up time on this thing is just seconds so it's nothing to have to turn it on.

agt499

I am a closet optimist, so I just close the cover.
Have gotten used to about a 1 in 10 chance of not waking properly though.
...and a 1 in 3 chance of not waking when docked.

Lobo

I quickly learned to fully turn off my SP3 after arriving on-site with a dead gadget several times.

Heck, it doesn't hold much of a charge even when turned off, at least compared to my MacBooks.

kevinlevrone

I'm still unsure what happens when the SP3 is in connected stand-by and you take it outside at let's say -20 degrees Celsius in a car's trunk.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm still unsure what happens when the SP3 is in connected stand-by and you take it outside at let's say -20 degrees Celsius in a car's trunk.
"Operating temperature. Surface is designed to work between 32°F and 95°F (or 0°C to 35°C). Lithium-ion batteries are sensitive to high temperatures, so keep your Surface out of the sun and don’t leave it in a hot car."​

That's off the Surface web site.
This from research on LIon battery use in automobiles.
Cold temperature effects
•Battery performance (power, Energy) lower due to poor ion transport
•xEVacceleration and range are much more affected than conventional vehicles
•Passenger heating needed, BEV range is reduced using battery energy (higher gas emissions if engine used for PHEV and EREV)
•Charging is much more challenging as dendrite can grow and reduce life of battery and compromise safety​

Id avoid leaving your Surface in the car trunk in -20 temperatures. MS should amend their site to include L-ion sensitivity to very low temperatures.

In your scenario, If all goes well battery life will be reduced and it will reach low charge quicker. In either 4 hours or at the low charge cutoff which ever comes first it should attempt to enter Hibernation. Given that the device is not in its operating range it may fail in unpredictable ways.

Additionally the thermal cycling alone will cause expansion and contraction causing mechanical stress and potentially damaging components and connections. Moisture could also form inside the unit from extreme temperature changes with predictably unpredictable negative consequences.

mohcho

I always turn it off. I find that the boot up from sleep is barely faster than a cold boot anyways, so what's the difference.

GreyFox, agreed on leaving it out in the cold. Not a good thing. I left it out once because I went somewhere after work, so I couldn't carry my bag in with me, and I made sure I left it out of the sleeve once I got home to let it acclimate for a while before turning it on again.