What's new

SP1/SP2 Power Cable Versus SP3

drzeller

I've had the original RT, Pro 1, and Pro 2. I really liked their power cables (the wire from the supply to the SP connector). I find the SP3 cable much less satisfying. I feel like MS took a step backwards (went cheap?).

The SP1/SP2 adaptor wire had nice "body" to it. It felt good, didn't kink-up at all, sprang back to shape, and wrapped easily. The SP3 wire is more "wirey," thinner, is harder to wrap nicely, and does not spring to shape.

Anyone else felt this way? And just to make clear, I'm not talking about the connector differences, just the wire.

David

Last edited:

kozak79

Yeah, the SP3 cable is Bendy. If you kink it, it stays that way, and you have to really work to untangle it. As long as you keep it relatively straight it's fine.

I wish they had a 24w power adapter like they have for the Surface 2. I used it with my SP2 and it worked great. Was smaller, cheaper (only $40) and charged my SP2 just fine. I really can't justify paying another $80 for a power adapter.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have no complaints about the wire.

I'm really sorry you feel that way Dave.
Look Dave, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over.

Hal

graye

My wife could never get the SP1/2 cable to connect (Shhh... do tell her I said that!)
She has no trouble with the SP3 cable.

malberttoo

The wire material definitely is different, I noticed that right away. It kinks really easy.

I have no usability complaints about it though.

FlySwatter

While I agree about the cable itself, the improved connector makes up for it. You're right, it's easier to kink the new cable, but I always disliked the connector on my SP1, so the trade off is worth it for me.

mitchellvii

The SP3 cable is a slightly lighter shade of black than on my SP1 and it's driving me nuts! :)

Seriously, a thread about the look and feel of the power cable wire? Lol, I suppose if that is the biggest complaint MS has a major winner on their hands. Think about it. A thinner wire is more likely to give with movement and less likely to pull out.

bluegrass

I never noticed the difference in the quality of the wire. Like another person mentioned, the new connector is a great improvement.

Since we're on the topic of power packs, I thought I'd mention, for what it's worth, that I own both the SP2 docking station and the SP3 docking station and the power packs are identical.

mohcho

I noticed that the power wire does kink and bend a lot easier than the SP2 one, but the connector is 100x better.

OP
D

drzeller

Re: the connector, I left out the word "not" in my original post. It really changes the meaning :). I meant to say that I was NOT talking about the connector. I was wondering why folks were talking about it when I (thought I had) specifically stated that I was not complaining about it. Ooops.

David