What's new

SP1 type cover causes rebooting?

Kuzma Volkov

I've noticed once in awhile if i close the cover or remove it my surface will reboot.

Is there something wrong with the terminals or is my type cover defective?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Difficult to know. If you can reproduce the problem with another cover then id say its the Surface or Driver. If you cannot reproduce with another cover then its the cover. You could try removing the driver and reinstalling it or doing a Refresh... ugh ... in case its a software/driver installation problem.

drolem

Random reboots during connect/disconnect can and do happen -- they are features. :p
Chances are good that there's nothing wrong with your type cover, but you could try to get a replacement, if you can.

I'm not aware of any issue that would cause reboot upon closing the cover, but one may still exist.

Make sure that you have the latest firmwares and drivers installed.

What do you see in event viewer?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Random reboots during connect/disconnect can and do happen -- they are features. :p
Chances are good that there's nothing wrong with your type cover, but you could try to get a replacement, if you can.

I'm not aware of any issue that would cause reboot upon closing the cover, but one may still exist.

Make sure that you have the latest firmwares and drivers installed.

What do you see in event viewer?
Not a feature I have seen in two years of using Surfaces so it doesn't seem to be a common feature and clearly goes against the design principal of adding and removing devices of over a decade.