What's new

Sp4 - can it get 5 to 6 hrs battery?

J_Deacon

There are a lot of variables. Screen brightness play a part in battery drain, but it also depends on what you do. I average 6-7 hrs. with brightness at about 50% but all I do is browse the web, photo editing, digital scrapbooking, & school work (word/PPT/excel/onenote).

When you say 6-7 hours, is that with intermittent use? Do you get 6-7 hours of solid use (not leaving it in standby) whilst web browsing, photo editing etc?

leeshor

Not answering for @Nspyr but I do, regularly. For clarification I do not use Edge or Chrome and I feel that easily adds 20% or more to my battery run-time. (unmodified Edge).

J_Deacon

Not answering for @Nspyr but I do, regularly. For clarification I do not use Edge or Chrome and I feel that easily adds 20% or more to my battery run-time. (unmodified Edge).

Hmmm, that's interesting to know. Using Edge I will get about 3 to 4 hours absolute max. Adblocker on, 30% brightness, Cortana off, Bluetooth off, Windows Hello off.

leeshor

I use Firefox with AdBlock + 35% bright, Cortana, blue tooth and Hello all on but several background process off and only one active/live tile. Honestly I see no battery difference with Hello one way or the other. I'm pretty sure the only time it consumes battery is when the IR camera is on. It's only a few seconds.

Philtastic

Hmmm, that's interesting to know. Using Edge I will get about 3 to 4 hours absolute max. Adblocker on, 30% brightness, Cortana off, Bluetooth off, Windows Hello off.
It sounds like your CPU is being used at almost 100% that entire time which means that something is running in the background killing your battery life. You will want to monitor Task Manager to see what your CPU usage is at and which program is using it.

I literally get 6-8 hours of screen-on time, most recently while playing a day-long session of Dungeons & Dragons where I kept both my character sheet and player manual up the entire time. I keep track of current HP, ability usage, and other changes by drawing on the PDF with the pen.

J_Deacon

My CPU averages around 4% and, this temporarily jumps up to 20% when opening a tab within Edge. I don't have any other programs eating my CPU. I am hoping that future updates will improve the battery life.

Philtastic

My CPU averages around 4% and, this temporarily jumps up to 20% when opening a tab within Edge. I don't have any other programs eating my CPU. I am hoping that future updates will improve the battery life.
If this is truly the case, it's probably a hardware issue because a functional SP4 lasts far longer than 3-4 hours.

Glenn.Q

I tried mine several times and never got over 4 hours. Office work with outlook and exchange server, office programs and browser lead to about 3,5 hours till the battery was done.
Yesterday I installed steam and played some counter strike source to test it in battery. About 3 hours and the battery was empty.
Do you think that it is a hardware related problem?
The battery life is the problem that annoys me the most.

dcoplien

I was happy when I got my average use up to 6 hours. Today, I made no changes, been in use 5.6 hours and still have 48% left. Have no clue as to why it's doing so much better today especially since most of it was using Edge.

Philtastic

I tried mine several times and never got over 4 hours. Office work with outlook and exchange server, office programs and browser lead to about 3,5 hours till the battery was done.
Yesterday I installed steam and played some counter strike source to test it in battery. About 3 hours and the battery was empty.
Battery life highly depends on usage. Reading an ebook? Easily 8 hours. Browsing the web? 6-8 hours mostly determined by how obnoxious the ads are on the pages you're viewing. Playing a game? I'd expect 1-3 hours because you're really pushing the system.

Basically, the reason that battery life varies with usage is because the CPU & GPU underclock to low power states when the computational speed isn't needed. You can see this in real time using Task Manager.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
You list programs but not usage patterns, how often are you polling Exchange? What are doing in Office? Pivot Tables and Excel Analytics consume more cycles, as does large and complex documents or PowerPoint Decks. Browser choice can impact battery by 25-50%...

I get 5.5 - 8 hours depending on usage.