Speakers / Headset Dilemma

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro 3' started by Kif, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Kif

Kif Active Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    I'm looking for advice how to improve my setup. On my SP3 I citrix into my work. My SP3 is docked in a Microsoft docking station and has USB speakers plugged into it which I use to listen to music. When I get a Lync call I have to manually plug in headset in the audio jack to take the call. I get too much feedback using the internal microphone and external speakers. Is there a more elegant solution to switch back and from between external speakers and a headset?

2. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Lots of Bluetooth speakers incorporate a microphone so they can be used for calls.

That said, can't you designate the headset as the 'default communications device' in the Sound settings, and leave your speakers as the default playback device, allowing you to leave both connected? (I'm not sure if this will work but it would seem like it given the phrasing Microsoft uses).

3. HvT

HvT Member

You are looking for Jabra devices:
    Wireless headsets with USB dongle and Bluetooth (for seamless mobile phone usage) or USB only Headsets. Look for the MS letters in their name - means Lync certified. Also check that your Jabra headset is supported by the Jabra Device Service (Tray Icon App).

That Jabra Setup does exaclty what you want: you can listen to regular audio while your audio communication is routed via your jabra device. Supports hotplugging: if no jabra device is attached, audio communication is routed via windows default setup for that.

The Jabra Device Service supports Lync, Skype, WebEx and serious list of regular softphones, such as Avaya, Bria and more. All simultaneously if required: first source that rings wins. It also knows if your headset is currently busy via bluetooth with your cell phone if eg a lync call comes in and acts accordingly.

Works like a charm with my Jabra Speakerphone (Desktop) and my Jabra Motion MS+ while travelling. I am using Lync, Skype, Avaya and WebEx.

Does not disturb listening to eg Spotify while calling.

Kif likes this.
  4. HvT

HvT Member

Not sure if Citrix allows you to connect local USB devices to your virtual session.

5. wditters

wditters Active Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    See the following link: https://www.raymond.cc/blog/easily-...t-audio-sound-output-in-windows-vista-and-xp/

I use tool #4 but that comes down to personal taste as well. Rather elegant, and simple switching back and forth between audio connections.

Kif likes this.
  6. Kif

Kif Active Member

My Device:
    SPro3
  7. wditters

wditters Active Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    Same here .. the functionality if that switcher tool (#4) that I mentioned should be standard functionality in the native Windows 8.1 speaker tray icon :)

Kif likes this.
  8. HvT

HvT Member

These tools are similar to what the Jabra Device Service does. However, the Jabra tool also configures the softphone/Lync/IM to make sure that this piece of software uses the right channel from that side. It's not only a configuration-pity on Windows.

Kif likes this.
  9. Kif

Kif Active Member

My Device:
    SPro3
    I finally found some time to circle back to this. I looked at buying a Jabra headset but the options were more expensive then I was willing to spend. So I downloaded Audio Switcher Tool per your recommendation. It works perfect and is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!