What's new

Squishy Screen

I currently own an IPad, but am considering moving to a Surface tablet. My concern is the ruggedness of the screen. When examining the screen, it feels flexible like it is made out of a projector transparency vs hard glass. My concern is the screen scratching when being cleaned, or used in an area with a lot of dust/grit.

Any thoughts on the matter?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I've used every generation of Surface Device and have never scratched a screen - I spend 8-10 hours a day inking on it....

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've had a 3 and 4 (sp4 certainly has a softer feel to it, I imagine to make inking feel more natural). Never had an issue, and my devices do not get mollycoddled. Just chuck them in a sholder bag rubbing up against pens, brass zippers etc. I think that it is something you really don't need to worry about unless you're a caveman and clean it with gravel :)

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
SP4 has gorilla glass 4 apparently (although not many google results confirming this so don't take this post as fact :))

convergent

I currently own an IPad, but am considering moving to a Surface tablet. My concern is the ruggedness of the screen. When examining the screen, it feels flexible like it is made out of a projector transparency vs hard glass. My concern is the screen scratching when being cleaned, or used in an area with a lot of dust/grit.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Microsoft didn't just start making these, and JD Power and Associates latest tablet survey showed Surface users more satisfied than iPad users. If the screen easily scratched, it would be widely talked about.

I had one for only a short time before returning and waiting for the new model available next week. I also own iPads. I didn't see any difference in the feel. It may be that using a pen vs. your finger is causing this different feel?

Orlbuckeye

Well if that's a concern they sell screen shields that protect the screen and don't affect the visibility.

Plantje

I have never had any scratches on my Surface 3, but I've always used a screen protector.

Sand will scratch your screen. If you rub it hard enough on the screen even Gorilla glass 5 will scratch. However, normal use should not be an issue.

At the same time I understand you. If you take a SP4, SP3, S3 etc and push it, it will feel like you're compressing it. You can even see it on the screen if you push on it. The iPad (for example) is completely different in that regard... it is hard as hell! It feels like you're holding a metal plate with a glass plate glued to it. However, the iPad doesn't run Windows :)