Summary of issues with wifi, bluetooth and SP3 drivers

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro 3' started by rbpyle, Jun 29, 2014.

1. rbpyle

rbpyle New Member

Jun 28, 2014
    My Device:
    I thought I would summarize the experiences and testing I have done surrounding the wireless connectivity issues in the SP3.

1. Driver dated 4/24/14: Version 15.68.3036.67 for the Marvell AVASTAR Wireless chip
    • a. Relatively stable driver, 72bps connections to 2.4Ghz wireless while on line AC power.
    • b. if the SP3 goes to sleep, the Bluetooth and wireless devices will be gone when you ask the SP3 to wake up.
    • c. The sleep does not have to be deep
    • d. This symptom appears about 70% of the time on sleeping
    • e. If you ask for a driver update (From Devices -> Driver -> update driver) this is shown to be the best available driver
    2. If however, you as Windows update to update the system you will get a driver dated 5/5/14: Version 15.68.3040.75 for the Marvell AVASTAR Wireless chip. This driver will exhibit the following behavior:
    • a. It seems to have fixed the devices being visible on wake up. In that respect it is more reliable
    • b. The Wifi connectivity, even though the device is there, is very unreliable.
    • i. When the device is on battery, the wakeup from sleep will result in a widely varying set of behaviors, very slow wifi speeds, making it virtually useless
    • 1. Cycling the wifi on and off will sometimes and randomly restore connectivity somewhat.
    • 2. 2.4 vs. 5 Ghz does not seem to matter much
    • 3. Rebooting, and deep power cycling (volume up and power shutdown) sometimes helps
    • ii. When the device is on line AC and you power up and stay on line, it is a very stable environment.

At this point I have 2 open cases with Microsoft Support pressing for an acknowledgement of the issue and if they intend a new patch on the next super Tuesday.
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2014