What's new

Surface Mini?

TheCudder

I hope they scrap it. There is no market for the Surface Mini. 8-inch Windows tablets are where Microsoft's partner's are seeing sucess at the $200 range. I don't see many (not even Surface fanatics) jumping on board to purchase a $299-$399 8-inch Surface. I hope they just focus on the Pro line. There is no need to have multiple Surfaces, and this is coming form some one who pre-ordered the Surface RT....and still uses it daily. Let's face it, the Surface Pro line is really the ONLY product that stands a chance to grow. RT & Mini is just a failed concept in the Windows ecosystem.

kodos

I actually disagree - I think the move to a 12" Surface Pro has opened up a nice slot for a smaller "mini" tablet. A lot of people are already saying that the Surface Pro 12" is now light enough, but they want something that they can easier hold with one hand. The Surface Mini would now clearly differentiate itself. Maybe MS is waiting for the next generation of Atom processors. Lots of people are able to be very productive with the Venue 8 Pro series, I think a Windows 9 Surface Mini would be killer. I know I could use one.

TheCudder

The price woldn't make sense -- Dell, Lenovo and other OEM's should continue to provide for the 8-inch market. I don't know what a Surface Mini could provide at a premium price point other than being a "Surface". a keyboard cover or kick stand really wouldn't work out with an 8-inch device, and all of the others ar running the same Intel Atom processors. I really don't see the OneNote pen being effective on an 8-inch screen. This is why I say they shouldn't bother. Therer is no way to justify a premium 8-inch tablet over the 8-inch tablets offered by OEM's. Microsoft has to start being realistic and stop thinking they can just offer a premium everything like Apple ---- Apples doesn't have hardware partners.

CrippsCorner

I actually disagree - I think the move to a 12" Surface Pro has opened up a nice slot for a smaller "mini" tablet. A lot of people are already saying that the Surface Pro 12" is now light enough, but they want something that they can easier hold with one hand. The Surface Mini would now clearly differentiate itself. Maybe MS is waiting for the next generation of Atom processors. Lots of people are able to be very productive with the Venue 8 Pro series, I think a Windows 9 Surface Mini would be killer. I know I could use one.

Yes maybe they are waiting for a slight UI change with Windows 9 that could better suit the Mini... either way personally I'd love to see one! I was ready to buy one, perhaps two (for my mum)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
They're waiting for Office Gemini as when they release it they want to offer a full Modern UI Experience with no need to go to the desktop.

CrippsCorner

I just wish we had a date as my mum is desperate to buy a mini tablet within the next couple of months... holding on for the time being but can't forever! :(

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I would say the earliest is this fall...I doubt they would wait till Threshold for release has the SoC would be quite old by then....but I reserve the right to be wrong :)

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hope they scrap it. There is no market for the Surface Mini. 8-inch Windows tablets are where Microsoft's partner's are seeing sucess at the $200 range. I don't see many (not even Surface fanatics) jumping on board to purchase a $299-$399 8-inch Surface. I hope they just focus on the Pro line. There is no need to have multiple Surfaces, and this is coming form some one who pre-ordered the Surface RT....and still uses it daily. Let's face it, the Surface Pro line is really the ONLY product that stands a chance to grow. RT & Mini is just a failed concept in the Windows ecosystem.
The concept is fine, the device is fine although it should also have a pen, the RT OS is fine but should not be handcuffed. The only failure is in the Marketing of the device. If they are aiming Pro at MBAs and positioning as a hybrid, the Surface should be aimed at iPad and Samsung's Tablets. should have been upfront about the desktop as a transitional thing. Hindsight also says they should have smacked faux confused analysis up side the head with a two by four for all their crap.