What's new

Surface Pro 3 and wireless ac

holsen

Thanks for the link. I still cant get my Surface P3 working with The TP-Link Router. I did check out the info you sent me and even consider replacing my new router with another new router (WRT 1900AC). But I decided try one more thing before I abandon the router. I bought a D-Link DWA-182Wireless AC1200 USB Adapter, and disabled the internal Marvel Network Adapter.
and guess what - The surface works perfectly on all three bands. I took a 2.2 File and moved it off my NAS onto my desktop in about 1.5 Minutes. I dont know what else to test. The router works with all of my PCs Except the Surface with a Marvel. When I disable the Marvell and plug in the D-Link Network adapter everything works flawlessly. There must be some incompatibility between Marvell and my new router, because when I change the network adapter everything works fine.

But obviously, I dont wont to be running around with a surface and a USB Adapter sticking out of the only USB port. What I really want is the surface with its internal hardware working properly .....

Thanks for your feedback!

holsen

I tried a few more things just to make sure.
The first thing I tried was to disable "Smart Connect" and then give each of the three bands a unique SSID (Smart Connect renames all three bands to the same SSID) That did nothing to improve the problem
Then I tried changing the bandwidth on both of the 5Ghz bands from Auto to 40 - and it made no difference. I still couldnt access the management page of the router or move files around the network
Then I changed the bandwidth on both 5Ghz channels to 20 (default is Auto) and all my problems disappeared BUT and this is a BIG BUT - It also reduced my connection speed to 178 Mbps - which is clearly not acceptable on an AC or Even N network

So, I did one last thing - I disabled the Internal Marvell Network adapter and Plugged in the D-Link DWA -182 USB network adapter one more time and put all the router settings back to their defaults and once again all my troubles disappeared. I dont know if it a firmware problem between the router and the Marvell or but clearly MS Surface and the Archer AC3200 dont like each other.

holsen

I tried a few more things just to make sure.
The first thing I tried was to disable "Smart Connect" and then give each of the three bands a unique SSID (Smart Connect renames all three bands to the same SSID) That did nothing to improve the problem
Then I tried changing the bandwidth on both of the 5Ghz bands from Auto to 40 - and it made no difference. I still couldnt access the management page of the router or move files around the network
Then I changed the bandwidth on both 5Ghz channels to 20 (default is Auto) and all my problems disappeared BUT and this is a BIG BUT - It also reduced my connection speed to 178 Mbps - which is clearly not acceptable on an AC or Even N network

So, I did one last thing - I disabled the Internal Marvell Network adapter and Plugged in the D-Link DWA -182 USB network adapter one more time and put all the router settings back to their defaults and once again all my troubles disappeared. I dont know if it a firmware problem between the router and the Marvell or but clearly MS Surface and the Archer AC3200 dont like each other.

So today,I took the plunge and dropped another $240 on another router just to make sure its not my TP-Link thats causing the problems. I picked up a ASUS RT-AC87U Wireless-AC2400 and same problem persists. I show a connection speed of 722 but moving files on the network in 5Ghz AC is painnfully slow. Clearly my 2 SP3s dont like the 5Ghz AC band. COnnecting to the internet is no problem but streaming files on the network is a nightmare. It doesnt seem to matter what AC router I use. I give up. I'm going back to a Dual Band N router.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
So today,I took the plunge and dropped another $240 on another router just to make sure its not my TP-Link thats causing the problems. I picked up a ASUS RT-AC87U Wireless-AC2400 and same problem persists. I show a connection speed of 722 but moving files on the network in 5Ghz AC is painnfully slow. Clearly my 2 SP3s dont like the 5Ghz AC band. COnnecting to the internet is no problem but streaming files on the network is a nightmare. It doesnt seem to matter what AC router I use. I give up. I'm going back to a Dual Band N router.
It might be your NAS.

holsen

It might be your NAS.
I did consider that but its the same problem moving files (on .11AC) between 2 surfaces over the home group too. However when I plug in a USB Network adapter and bypass the internal adapter in the surface (Marvell Avastar) everything is lightning fast from both the NAS and the homegroup ?????

free_refil

I did consider that but its the same problem moving files (on .11AC) between 2 surfaces over the home group too. However when I plug in a USB Network adapter and bypass the internal adapter in the surface (Marvell Avastar) everything is lightning fast from both the NAS and the homegroup ?????

Maybe you have some interference on the 5Ghz band in your home? Do you have other 5Ghz devices that work fine?