What's new

Surface Pro 3 and wireless ac

DanL

Now that we have a device with wireless ac capability is anyone considering upgrading to a new ac router?

If I remember right Jeff (jnjroach) has one of the new Netgear Nighthawk routers. That's the one I've been looking at. Anyone using one of these?

olimjj

Now that we have a device with wireless ac capability is anyone considering upgrading to a new ac router?

If I remember right Jeff (jnjroach) has one of the new Netgear Nighthawk routers. That's the one I've been looking at. Anyone using one of these?

No. I purchased the new Linksys WRT1900AC.
Super router, albeit expensive. Great performance and range.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I'm still enjoying my Netgear R7000, I did need to disable external IPv6 because of a conflict with Comcast's implementation of IPv6 in our area...

OP
D

DanL

Thanks Jeff, I have Comcast as well so that's good to know.

The Linksys just came out and I haven't had a chance to look at it yet. I'll definitely check it out.

bamaster

Do yourself a favor and get a Ubiquiti UniFi Long Range AP. Full signal strength in every corner of my house.

bamaster

Bah. Who needs AC? I'm getting 27MB down with Wireless-N and that's the same speed if I plug in directly to my router. And that's on 2.4GHz, too. I have 30MB capped on Comcast, so I'm pretty thrilled about that.

jakebake

People like me who have media servers, transfer large files, or who stream steam games from destkop PCs to devices like the SP2 [and soon, SP3]

So how exactly do you go about streaming steam games to the surface pro 3? I definitely want to do this and I have the nighthawk router. Will it still matter about the hardware in the pro 3?

bamaster

People like me who have media servers, transfer large files, or who stream steam games from destkop PCs to devices like the SP2 [and soon, SP3]

Pssh! You may want AC but you don't NEED AC to do any of that. What you need is to drop some ethernet cable. Or are you one of those people who have extreme conditions and do teragigaplex data transfers across castle moats with 10 tablets watching Huluflix and also PS4/Steam/Atari streaming on your dedicated OC3 fiber... all at the same time?

;)

olimjj

Pssh! You may want AC but you don't NEED AC to do any of that. What you need is to drop some ethernet cable. Or are you one of those people who have extreme conditions and do teragigaplex data transfers across castle moats with 10 tablets watching Huluflix and also PS4/Steam/Atari streaming on your dedicated OC3 fiber... all at the same time?

;)

"thou doth protest too much"
Why would you want to buy new hardware which is already 1 gen removed and doesn't have 5GHZ n band:even if you didn't care about AC?