Surface Pro 3 Won't Wake for Scheduled Backups

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro 3' started by MadManMoon, Dec 25, 2014.

1. MadManMoon

MadManMoon New Member

I just installed Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials on my home server (replaced Windows Home Server 2011), and my Surface Pro 3 is the only PC in the house that won't wake for its evening backups. The tablet is plugged in, connected to the Pro Cover, and open on a table. The connector software is properly installed, and a manual backup completed successfully.

Any ideas? Anyone have any experience with this combination? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. GreyFox7

GreyFox7 Super Moderator Staff Member

Can you confirm the SP3 was sleeping and for how long? I don't have this setup so I'm making some assumptions, please correct if I guessed wrong.
    It appears Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials workgroup configuration would be sending WOL packets and the Client is likely a Desktop App so under the this scenario with "Connected Standby" the client isn't able to get its notifications.

IF you can get WS2012R2E to send an Actionable notification to a MUI App on the Surface you might be able to cause a wakeup event. This would be a total hack at present... this also assumes less than 4 hours on sleep as after that its Hibernating which is shutdown.

AFAIK there is not currently a WOL solution for Connected Standby mode, although you could disable Connected Standby a the cost of battery life. Alternatively any other hack to trigger the backup might be preferable.