Surface Pro 4 Excel Lag

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface Pro 4' started by skaldux, Jul 22, 2016.

1. skaldux

skaldux New Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    Hi guys, is anyone else experiencing lag with scrolling in simple Excel spreadsheets? The lag is horrible for me. Also, when scrolling down/right, i see grey boxes forming alongside extremely jittery animations.
    I tried my friend's Surface Pro 3 and it has been extremely smooth thus far. To make things worse, his surface pro 3 is actually a i5/4gb ram model while mine is the Surface Pro 4, i5/256gb/8gb ram function. I have also tried uninstalling and installing 2013, both 32bit and 64bit versions are as laggy and the scrolling is unbearable.

Does anyone else also have lag with Office 2016/2013 applications? Any help would be beneficial here..

2. dcoplien

dcoplien Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    I use Excel daily and have no problem.

3. skaldux

skaldux New Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    right. Scrolling is extremely jittery even for a small 25KB excel file. Are there any settings i should be aware of to help speed up Excel 2016? I've done the disable graphics acceleration/feedback animation stuff, but in return it just makes my Word 2016 slow down more - without making the Excel 2016 that much better. Could there be a problem with my processor? The strange thing is, i've traded my laptop in with MSFT exchange center several times now and this is a new set from them....

4. dcoplien

dcoplien Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    I didn't change any settings. One of my daily sheets is 4 pages with an average 0f 15 col. and 200 rows, 10 of which are called in from yahoo finance.

Open a new spreadsheet and then click File, Account, Office Updates; when I've had problems, that seemed to fix them. Doesn't always work with an existing spreadsheet so I just open a new blank one.

5. skaldux

skaldux New Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    Hmm it says my Office is up to date. And it should be since i did a hard reset on my surface earlier today and reinstalled Office365 to try to fix the issue. Haven't downloaded any heavy applications or files since but the stuttering-scrolling still occurs in the most basic of spreadsheets. Thanks for the suggestion though.

6. MikemanSP4

MikemanSP4 Active Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    I too use Excel daily with massive spreadsheets etc and have no problems, no lag etc. I am however running MS Office 2016. One thing I find helpful is adding additional desktops which you may want to try using the WinKey, Ctl and "D", use of course WinKey + TAB to scroll through them. I more than understand that having multiple desktops is not for everyone. Also for thought - try running the TRIM clean up to optimize your hard drive. Might also want to check your processes, and maybe compare them to your friends SP3 - check to see if anything is eating up your RAM / Processor / Hard drive. Just a few thoughts, I apologize if you have already done this.

One last thing - Something I find useful is removing / re-installing the Surface Pro Drivers from time to time. I have also found that this will sometimes take care of many issues from the camera to the Pen.

Download Surface Pro 4 Drivers and Firmware from Official Microsoft Download Center

One LAST Thing is checking the version of your EXCEL File - was it perhaps created on a previous version of Office etc. I understand you don't have these issues when on your friends PC - so its more than likely not an Office issue - but it might be worth taking a look at.