What's new

there goes external DP support...

mtalinm

SP2 said "need to restart to install an update"
I try to figure out what the update is., can't
So I restart
Now my DP monitors are blank
Lovely. Someone remind me why I haven't sold this thing.

Nuspieds

SP2 said "need to restart to install an update"
I try to figure out what the update is., can't
So I restart
Now my DP monitors are blank
Lovely. Someone remind me why I haven't sold this thing.
I have the newer model SP2 (with the 4300U CPU) and I don't know if that makes any difference with any of the MS updates but at one point I had to keep a copy of the Intel HD Graphics driver installation readily-available.

I had experienced exactly what you experienced and lost my external displays (Dell U3014 via DP 1.2, and then DELL U3011 daisy-chained to the U3014) after rebooting due to an update. This happened on several occasions (at least 3) and that's why, by the third time, I kept that Intel download readily available.

However, since the March update, the Intel install will no longer run (i.e., it gives an error to the effect that it is not supported on the hardware) but the issue has not repeated itself. I had so become accustomed to running the Intel install right after an update that, of course, I also ran it after the March update. I was truly surprised that it didn't run, but then again, if they fixed the issue in the March update, then I certainly have nothing to complain about.

So since your issue reminds me so much of what I experienced prior to the March update, I would say go to the Intel site and download the Intel drivers and do an install and see if you get your external monitors working again.

OP
M

mtalinm

thank you nuspieds. o you know where to find the driver? The Intel tool recommends a particular one but then says it's not verified for this device. The latest 4400 driver on their website won't install either. I'm lost.

GoodBytes

If you install the Intel drivers from Intel web site, Windows update will install the Surface Pro 2 Intel drivers afterwards.
The March update offers you the Intel control panel to setup DP daisy chaining, based on the firmware history (I cant' test).

However, if you really want the latest Intel drivers, go to Intel web site, download the latest Intel 4400 drivers, but you want the ZIP download, NOT the exe.
Once downloaded, extract the zip file at a location you know. Once done. go to Device Manager, and go under Display Adapter[/B, then right-click on the Intel graphic drivers and select uninstall. If you have the check box to delete drivers, check it.
Once done, restart your computer.
If you open Windows Update it will show a System hardware or system firmware update. That is the Intel drivers. right-click, and select "Hide".
Then, Open Device Manager, and go under Display Adapter once again, and right-click on the item you see, and select Update Driver Software. Now select Browse my computer for driver software, and select the path where you extracted the drive. It should now install the Intel drivers. If not. Then restart your computer once more time, and repeat this step again.

Once done, restart your system. Check for windows Update once again for System hardware update or System firmware update and hide them, so that Windows Update doesn't install it.

Nuspieds

thank you nuspieds. o you know where to find the driver? The Intel tool recommends a particular one but then says it's not verified for this device. The latest 4400 driver on their website won't install either. I'm lost.
Did you follow GoodBytes' instructions? Did it work?

Pre March Update, the .exe download worked fine for me and would always fix my problem, but I know it doesn't always work for everyone; hence, the reason for the .ZIP manual version.

Nuspieds

Ok, good to hear!

Well, be sure to keep that driver handy just in case the issue reappears after a future update, as what had happened to me.