What's new

Solved Transitioning from Apple to SP3

megatronium

What are the questions you have about the SP3 ManUnited? I don't have a Mac to compare it to (I do have a Hackintosh laptop) but I'll give a go at answering any questions you have.

ctitanic

How does this advance the conversation? Apple did it from 2006-2010, so now it's our turn.

The difference between that ad campaign and MS's current campaign is two-fold:
  1. Apple was mocking the complexity of Windows and advocating the simplicity of MacOS.
  2. MS is persuading Apple users to convert
There is a big difference. I don't agree with either campaign, per se.

However, when an Apple user does want to follow MS's campaign and compare the products, you bristle at the comparison?
You see, it's a matter of opinion. I do not find anything good in Apple's campaigns. I find it full of lies.

Both campaigns have one goal, get users to convert.

double07

The way I see this, it is whatever your platform of choice. It's not to replace. If OSX is your platform, you can use MBA, MBP and iPad is to complement those laptops. If Windows is your choice, Surface Pro 1,2,3 can complement your traditional Win laptop. SF3 is potentially be your MBA+iPad package for Windows platform. But to transition from OSX to Win or wise versa, that is big change. Your workflow won't be exactly the same. It's like you are switching from Canon <-> Nikon gears.

ctitanic

The way I see this, it is whatever your platform of choice. It's not to replace. If OSX is your platform, you can use MBA, MBP and iPad is to complement those laptops. If Windows is your choice, Surface Pro 1,2,3 can complement your traditional Win laptop. SF3 is potentially be your MBA+iPad package for Windows platform. But to transition from OSX to Win or wise versa, that is big change. Your workflow won't be exactly the same. It's like you are switching from Canon <-> Nikon gears.
Agree, and you will live the transition a lot better if you accept that both platform are different and you are willing to accept and learn.

OP
M

ManUnited

What are the questions you have about the SP3 ManUnited? I don't have a Mac to compare it to (I do have a Hackintosh laptop) but I'll give a go at answering any questions you have.

@megatronium — Thank you for your response. My main issue has been the battery life. MS quoted 9 hours, which is equivalent or one hour less than my current MBP. However, when I got the SP3, I was getting about 6 to 6:30, which would not carry me throughout the day. The solutions offered were twofold:
  1. Plug it in throughout the day
  2. Tinker with the settings
While either of these would assist, they both contradict my current setup and why I purchased the SP3 in the first place.

ipaq_101

How does this advance the conversation? Apple did it from 2006-2010, so now it's our turn.

The difference between that ad campaign and MS's current campaign is two-fold:
  1. Apple was mocking the complexity of Windows and advocating the simplicity of MacOS.
  2. MS is persuading Apple users to convert
There is a big difference. I don't agree with either campaign, per se.

However, when an Apple user does want to follow MS's campaign and compare the products, you bristle at the comparison?

Your post is a perfect example of your passion for Apple and how sometimes passion blinds people from both sides sometimes of the fence, which is fine, but don't take it personally if you do the same thing you are accusing other people of doing.

You think that the ad campaigns from MS and Apple are so different, when in reality they are identical in their end goal. That some how apple was kinder and gentler in their approach by mocking the complexity of Windows, for what purpose? To amuse people? No, it was to get Windows users to jump ship to Apple and increase Apple's market-share, that is exactly the same thing MS is doing to Apple today.

Clearly in your eyes their is a bias in how you perceive Apple vs MS and their campaigns.

Len J

Not sure what you want here...seriously.

It's a public forum, and just like any public forum there are a range of personalities from secure to insecure, from fanboys to very measured, thoughtful posters. I don't think you are going to change that.

Take what you need and leave the rest.

It's pretty obvious after a very short time here where the quality posts come from and who is carrying which biases and blinds pots (like any forum).

I have no experience w apple other than iPad's and iPhones, but I've tried to evaluate their products vs my needs as I upgrade hardware, so your perspective is valuable to me (as someone leaning to the SP3).

Don't get down in the mud & wrestle w pigs because only 2 things happen, the pig gets happy & you get dirty. IME

Len

OP
M

ManUnited

@ipaq_101 — You misinterpret my comments. I have no passion for platforms. I am agnostic. I am simply looking for the best solution for the coming semester.

I never stated Apple's campaign was "kindler" nor "gentler" than MS's. My use of "mocking" is in accordance with the proper definition — "making fun of someone or something in a cruel way."

How is that kinder or gentler?

ipaq_101

@megatronium — Thank you for your response. My main issue has been the battery life. MS quoted 9 hours, which is equivalent or one hour less than my current MBP. However, when I got the SP3, I was getting about 6 to 6:30, which would not carry me throughout the day. The solutions offered were twofold:
While either of these would assist, they both contradict my current setup and why I purchased the SP3 in the first place.

I never knew MS was comparing the SP3 to the MBP, I always thought the aim was to compare the SP3 against MBA.

megatronium

Were you doing more than web browsing? On Microsoft's site it says this "Surface Pro 3 has up to 9 hours of battery life for web browsing. Battery life for other uses will vary."

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/cat/Surface/categoryID.66734700

You could also purchase a power cover for the Surface Pro 2 to extend your battery life on the Surface Pro 3.

OP
M

ManUnited

@ipaq_101 — That is just my current setup. Both claim to have 9-hour battery life. The comparison was mine, not MS's.

OP
M

ManUnited

You could also purchase a power cover for the Surface Pro 2 to extend your battery life on the Surface Pro 3.

I hadn't really thought of that possibility. However, are they not two different form factors?