What's new

Turning off Windows Defender gave me 5 extra hours

Joe Torres

So I noticed after the win10 update, my batter meter showed I was draining fast. I found out that Windows Defender made it do that.

I since then I turned it off and it literally went from 1.5 hours left to 6.5 hours left of life. Insane!

ramiss

I noticed that my battery stats were poor soon after installing Win10 and got better (ie more accurate) the more I used it. Did you perform this test after the stats had leveled off?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you have defender on check in task manager for it consuming CPU time? Then launch resource monitor and look and the files being accessed. It might be stuck on a corrupt PDF of something. it's unusual.

OP
Joe Torres

Joe Torres

All know is the following... when I had it on my batter was at 1.5 left to dead then when I turned it off, it bumped it up to 6.5 hours left.

leeshor

As @GreyFox7 suggested, it must be more than just the fact that Defender was running. It was having a problem somewhere. You seem to have covered it up - not figured it out.

Nicola

All know is the following... when I had it on my batter was at 1.5 left to dead then when I turned it off, it bumped it up to 6.5 hours left.
I'm sorry to say, but this means nothing.
The report of remaining time on battery is just based on the average of the last few minutes consumption.
Your SP3 was busy running tasks when you had the first look at the meter (maybe it was just you browsing options and stuff) and then when it calmed down bumped to 6hrs.
Defender can nowhere put such a load on your system unless it's scanning your files.
I guess you can turn it back on, let it finish scanning and enjoy again your 6+ hrs.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Based on this concept, I'd be getting about 14 hours battery life if I turn off defender.