What's new

Typing angle with onscreen keyboard?

netuser

The last position on the 3-position kickstand on the Surface 3 is still too upright to type comfortably.
If you don't have the Type Cover attached, how would you get the Surface 3 positioned in a good typing angle?
Laying it completely flat doesn't look like a good angle. Normally, you would want the tablet tilted up at a shallow angle.

yoga-tablet-tilt.png

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The last position on the 3-position kickstand on the Surface 3 is still too upright to type comfortably.
If you don't have the Type Cover attached, how would you get the Surface 3 positioned in a good typing angle?
Laying it completely flat doesn't look like a good angle. Normally, you would want the tablet tilted up at a shallow angle.

yoga-tablet-tilt.png
The angle is actually really comfortable to type on.....

OP
N

netuser

The angle is actually really comfortable to type on.....

I just came back from Best Buy and looked at the Surface 3 again and tried typing on the touchscreen with it tilted in the farthest back position I found it too upright trying to type on it while the Surface was on the display counter.
It was not impossible to type, but it felt awkward like my wrists were angled back too far and it is going to cause a problem typing like that long term..
I went over to a Surface Pro 3 and tilted it back nearly as far as it can go and that felt more ergonomically comfortable.

I'm wondering if there is some way to get a good touchscreen angle so it is easier to use without having the Touch Cover connected.
Maybe a smart cover type device that can be folded into a wedge to prop up the back of the Surface. I don't know if buying more accessories to carry around is a solution because then you might as well just keep the Touch Cover on.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I just came back from Best Buy and looked at the Surface 3 again and tried typing on the touchscreen with it tilted in the farthest back position I found it too upright trying to type on it while the Surface was on the display counter.
It was not impossible to type, but it felt awkward like my wrists were angled back too far and it is going to cause a problem typing like that long term..
I went over to a Surface Pro 3 and tilted it back nearly as far as it can go and that felt more ergonomically comfortable.

I'm wondering if there is some way to get a good touchscreen angle so it is easier to use without having the Touch Cover connected.
Maybe a smart cover type device that can be folded into a wedge to prop up the back of the Surface. I don't know if buying more accessories to carry around is a solution because then you might as well just keep the Touch Cover on.
Another trick I use is "Cool Feet" which is designed for laptop cooling, but they work well for when I use my device in Portrait Mode.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
For onscreen typing i just use it flat like i would any tablet. If anything more than a couple of lines needs to be typed then i just use the typecover. When flat, i find it isn't really that much different to how i normally type (my main keyboards are dinovo edges so i am rather used to a flat typing angle, and prior to the surface i used a nexus 10 extensively so am used to typing on-screen at a flat angle, or just propped against my legs/knees on the couch at the desired angle of comfort.