What's new

Ubuntu on Surface Pro 3?

d.martin77

Looking to buy the new surface. Everywhere I see it's like a laptop, but is it "canned" to Win 8.1, or I have free access to the ssd and can partition it to install an Ubuntu dualboot?

Thanks for the info, I can't find the answer anywhere!

bluegrass

It should be no problem. BTW, I installed Ubuntu on over 50 systems here where I work. We had to retire all of our XP computers because they would no longer get any antivirus update or Windows update. It was decided to give them away to users but we didn't want to pass along the problem of the XP OS so I installed Ubuntu on all of them. When I upgraded my home system from Windows 7 to Windows 8, I made it dual boot because at the time, I didn't feel comfortable with Windows 8. Ubuntu is graphical enough & with the free open office, they can serve as a useable computer for some of our users.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Loking at the hardware, the Surface could handle a VM. Have you tried it? Would it run smoothly?
I have not tried a VM yet although you can enable Hyper-v on the Surface so that might be a good way to go rather than partitioning and dual booting.

running smoothly then would be a function of total load. The usual HDD bottleneck on a laptop would not be an issue here. so you would likely be fine as long as your not trying to do anything too intense. with intensive loads the SP3 will throttle back to reduce the thermals. I think a light vm would be alright. If you have this scenario running now on other equipment have a look at your CPU load to get an idea what it looks like.

pcom

Loking at the hardware, the Surface could handle a VM. Have you tried it? Would it run smoothly?
I'm running Ubuntu and Mint under VMware and a couple of Android systems under Virtual Box. 256GB i5 8GB RAM with a 64GB microSD card. Runs great! I tried Hyper-V but couldn't get USB passthrough so I went back to VMware and VBox.

OP
D

d.martin77

I'm running Ubuntu and Mint under VMware and a couple of Android systems under Virtual Box. 256GB i5 8GB RAM with a 64GB microSD card. Runs great! I tried Hyper-V but couldn't get USB passthrough so I went back to VMware and VBox.

Great! That's what I like to read :)

Now, last question. Would the hardware be able to handle some Solidword and AutoCad? I will need to use them in the following years. I was originally looking for notebook/ powerfull ultrabook but I am charmed by the portability of the SP3 and it's ease of use in my daily commute.

megatronium

Autodesk
  • 3DS Max 2015 SP1 - runs (supports multi-touch)
  • Sketchbook Pro 7, 6.2.5 - runs (recommended)
  • Maya 2015 SP2 - runs
  • Mudbox 2015 SP1 - runs, no multi-touch
  • Mudbox 2015- no pen or touch, works with mouse or touchpad
  • Softimage 2015 - runs

yonghong

I tried android 4.4 rc2 with VM ,but no sound ,wifi is working , what's wrong ? Thanks.

pcom

I tried android 4.4 rc2 with VM ,but no sound ,wifi is working , what's wrong ? Thanks.
I don't mean to be dismissive but I don't have a clue. Try the forum supporting your Android version or one of the VM support forums.

dleuen

To those running Ubuntu or Mint as a VM how did you handle display scaling? Or do you just live with tiny fonts, etc. in the VM?

pcom

To those running Ubuntu or Mint as a VM how did you handle display scaling? Or do you just live with tiny fonts, etc. in the VM?
Usually I just live with it. If it gets bad, I install the extensions, make the window bigger and increase the font size in things that I need. Not elegant but ...