Unknown phone on my network?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Surface General Discussion' started by PotatoHole, Apr 17, 2016.

1. PotatoHole

PotatoHole New Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    Hi,

I'm using a Surface Pro 4 with all the latest updates. When I click on the File Explorer icon and then go to Network, I can see my home PC but also a phone which is not my phone. I connect to the internet via a wireless router/modem that my broadband provider gave me. Does it mean that the phone is on my Wi-Fi?

2. hughlle

hughlle Super Moderator Staff Member

Very easy to find out. Change the WiFi password.

3. Neil Clayton

Neil Clayton New Member

My Device:
    SPro4
    Hello,

You can try downloading ‘Wireless Network Watcher’, which can scans your network and shows you the IP address, MAC address, name and manufacturer of detected devices on your network.

You should be able to recognize all the devices on the list. If you see one that doesn't belong, you know somebody is connected without your permission.

Steps to Download:

In order to download and install, when the download is complete, open the .zip file and extract the program. You can extract the files by right-clicking in the file window and selecting "Extract All."

Run the file labeled as an application. As soon as the program runs, it will detect all devices connected on your network.

Regards,
    Neil Clayton

4. sharpuser

sharpuser Super Moderator Staff Member

My Device:
    Surface Book
    If you have a home or business security alarm, it may have include an always-connected wireless phone connection.