What's new

Upcoming Updates for the Surface Pro 3

Kif

Just curious when did a driver update become firmware update? My idea of a firmware update is when it updates the embedded memory on a particular device. An updated device driver is for updating the operating system access to a hardware resource.

OP
jnjroach

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Just curious when did a driver update become firmware update? My idea of a firmware update is when it updates the embedded memory on a particular device. An updated device driver is for updating the operating system access to a hardware resource.
Microsoft combines Firmware, Drivers and other support software into a single .msu, if it has Firmware embedded it is a Firmware Update (can be for the Cover as well), If it is just a driver it comes as a System Hardware Update.

The 750MB Update was a cumulative roll-up of Windows 8.1 KB patches...

Kif

Microsoft combines Firmware, Drivers and other support software into a single .msu, if it has Firmware embedded it is a Firmware Update (can be for the Cover as well), If it is just a driver it comes as a System Hardware Update.

Thanks for the information. I knew the other update was a Windows 8.1 CU update (bye bye to Service Packs).

Last edited:

kristalsoldier

Thankfully, the download and install went without incident. Fan went on for a little bit but died down on its own. Steady now.

raqball

I got a firmware update a few minutes ago..

Screenshot (1).png

bluegrass

Mine is dated 11/18/2014. It just finished installing. I'm on Windows 10 build 9879. Mine had a hiccup on restarting. It froze and I had to hold the power switch down to turn it off and than restarted OK but hadn't installed the update. I went updates and it asked right away to restart. This time it did restart and finish the firmware update. Haven't got a clue what it's suppose to fix but at least my SP3 7 W10P is booted and appears to be working.

Last edited: