What's new

Why does the Surface Pro 3 get a bad rap in the media? My take.

Liam2349

At the SP3 launch event Microsoft handed out SP3 to jaded reporters and dared them that they would prefer it over using their MacBook Air's. This was bold claim and one that probaly backfired. It was unlikely they were going win over these people. Predictively the first round of reviews all unfavorable compared the SP3 to the MacBook Air. Microsoft marketing isn't great and the company needs to take a more humble approach. Fortunately, I think Satya is helping to company become more humble. I'm still not sure about the marketing but we'll see after the holidays. Finally, Windows 8.1 needs to go since its a damaged brand. The SP3 is first class hardware but Win 8.1 does it no favors.

That announcement event still annoys me. They gave SP3s to people who had no idea how to review computers. The amount of reviews I saw referring to the charging port as a speaker, claiming there was no micro-SD slot, or just talking a lot of stuff that was completely wrong blew me away.

kundas1

first off what I like to point out to anyone is please try to install a full Mac APP/Game on an iPad, you can't so that's why the IOS app store NEEDS to be so robust because you have to download from the IOS store everything and anything to get it to work on the iPad... now for the SP3 you can install anything and everything on it and still have it portable and productive and media consumption... another point is that the SP3 is still in it's infancy and of course there isn't going to be as much stuff in the store like apple or android and they have to catch up.. but no one and I mean NO ONE takes that into consideration and it bothers me... I just read the other day that MS Store now has over 300,000 apps/games and constantly adding more stuff everyday! it will catch up.

InspectHerGadget

It is a failing strategy to compare it to an iPad.

It is less like an iPad now due to the increased screen size than it was before.

It also has less battery life and the apps for the iPad are numerous and well sorted.

It should be compared to the MacBook and other laptops where it compares very favourably.

OP
BearFlag

BearFlag

... another point is that the SP3 is still in it's infancy and of course there isn't going to be as much stuff in the store like apple or android and they have to catch up.. but no one and I mean NO ONE takes that into consideration and it bothers me... I just read the other day that MS Store now has over 300,000 apps/games and constantly adding more stuff everyday! it will catch up.

The SP3 might be in it's infancy but the Surface line has been out for more than 2 years now. I think Microsoft was slow to push out app development for it's Windows tablets. If Microsoft pushes more app development, I think the SP3 would have a clear advantage over an iPad (zero compromise). Therefore it would become an awesome tablet (zero compromise) plus a great laptop (few compromises).

My point is that the media and many people are unfairly knocking the SP3 when some of their criticisms should be pointed to the Windows platform rather than the device.

ctitanic

The SP3 might be in it's infancy but the Surface line has been out for more than 2 years now. I think Microsoft was slow to push out app development for it's Windows tablets. If Microsoft pushes more app development, I think the SP3 would have a clear advantage over an iPad (zero compromise). Therefore it would become an awesome tablet (zero compromise) plus a great laptop (few compromises).

My point is that the media and many people are unfairly knocking the SP3 when some of their criticisms should be pointed to the Windows platform rather than the device.
I used an iPad for almost two years and everything I did with it was full of compromises. I do not have any compromises while using the SP3.

Apps... Most of the Apps that I used in my iPad already have a Metro version. Plus now I have billions of "legacy" software that I can use. I don't have any Web site that I can't open.

The press hates anything that comes from MS because that's what Jobs taught them to do. Any Apple's product was a symbol of prosperity, Symbol of innovation. Any Microsoft product was a symbol of the old school. That's what they learned. And for long time that may have been real. The problem is that Jobs is dead and Apple is not longer the only one innovating. In fact, they have not innovated in a long time.

kundas1

yes been around 2 years that's still in it's infancy, I still remember to this day when I got my first iPhone and it hardly had anything for the longest time, I think in the 3rd year as it really took off did it start to mature and the IOS store started to have a good size of apps... also the other reason MS hasn't pushed developers is because we have TONS and TONS of legacy apps at our finger tips! but that's where I disagree with MS and they should have pushed heavily to the devs to start putting out apps for the MS store... now because of IOS store and android store people are to dependent on them for apps and forget there is a whole other legacy software out there! to many people have this stupid Apps store mentality because of apple and google.. but if MS wants the market share then they have to adapt to the paradigm of the app store...

megatronium

I think the SP3 is in a class of its own and should maybe be marketed as such. No comparisons - it's innovative and amazing. It's become the only computer I want to use. People are sheep.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
The best computer is the one you use.

No need to get offended if others don't like the SP3 as much as its owners do. On another thread, I used the phrase "I'm a Mac guy...", followed by genuine praise for the SP3, and where Windows 10 is headed. But more than a few IT people at my work saw that post, and gave me grief. On another forum, I got some flaming PM's so hot, that I think I heard my SP3 fan for the first time. :rolleyes:

I'm a Mac guy, and...
I'm a PC guy.

I'm a burger guy.
I'm a pizza guy.

I'm a father.
I'm an engineer.
I'm a grandfather.

I can be all these at once.

Love my SP3, and my Mac. The SP3 will do just fine, partly because of the people here at the positive, useful, well-lit and safe Microsoft Surface Forums, but mostly because it is a fine machine for its time. I do not believe the 'media' can stop its momentum.