What's new

Solved Wifi Direct

taglicht

Hello,

Regarding WiFi Direct, are the Microsoft Surface PROs (especially the 3) supporting it natively?

If yes, how to activate? Adapter didn't show up in Device Manager.

Thanks.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
What adapter? Need more information to formulate a reply.
For example Miracast uses wifi direct to mirror or extend the screen to compatible devices.

What did you want to do?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
WiFi Direct Adapters only show up when activated (like when you have an active Miracast Session). But yes, the Surface line supports it natively....if it doesn't work no culprits that disable it include VirtualBox, Cisco VPN Client and some Antivirus/Security Suites.

OP
T

taglicht

Thanks for the reply.
There is nothing special that is installed except Hyper-V, that I need and will not uninstall. But that is a Microsoft feature product and I did not read anything that states that installing it will unable any other function (Surface PRO 3 running Windows 10 with all updates soft/firmware installed).
Nevertheless the other Microsoft Software called "Share My Files" is supposed to work with WiFI direct but says that "Your PC does unfortunately not support Wi-Fi Direct transfer". Which brings me to this question and researching of a solution.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Bind the Hyper-V virtual switch to the Ethernet adapter rather than the wireless card. If that doesn't work the particular software doesn't support the Marvell Adapter.

OP
T

taglicht

@jnjroach: Thanks, would be nice but there is only the WiFi adapter present. No external Ethernet Adapter. Because 1. it's a laptop/tablet (bought too expensively for mobility (even so the battery lasts for max 3h when used)), 2. do not want to sacrifice the only USB slot.

I did some testing and here are the results:

• Un-installed Hyper-V
    • Wifi Direct worked perfectly using the mentioned tool/software
      • ! Surface 3PRO IS WiFi Direct natively enabled
      • ! APPstore APP "Share My Files" is WiFi Direct enabled and works ok
    • In "Network Connections" and "Device Manager" 2 devices are present
      • The Wireless adapter (unhidden)
      • Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter (unhidden)
  • Re-installed Hyper-V
    • Wifi Direct works no more. Software (ment) displays erroneous error message "Your PC does unfortunately not support Wi-Fi Direct transfer" which was proved to be wrong
    • In "Network Connections" and "Device Manager" 4 devices are present
      • Hyper-V Virtual Switch (external) (the virtual switch to which connect the VMs to gain access to outside)
      • Microsoft Network Adapter Multiplexer Driver (a level 2 bridge betw. Wifi and Vswitch)
      • The Wireless adapter
      • Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter (hidden)
As a result, installing Hyper-V disables WiFi direct. This isn't documented or I did not dig deep enough or spent enough hours to figure out.
Either this is a bug in which case somebody who knows how to do it should inform the right people at Microsoft, or this is as sometimes stated "by design" but then, it should be written on the product (Surface PRO 3) specs page or communicated in a way that my grandmother understands it. This is not sold solely to IT-PROs.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
That doesn't surprise me, when you enable Hyper-V it binds to a Network Adapter and creates a v-Switch to handle all network traffic on the bound adapter.

Hyper-V is not a consumer technology is there for a very specific use case, typically Developers...

Add a loopback adapter (assuming your VM doesn't need internet).

OP
T

taglicht

OK, several hours later, I have a viable solution (see result in attached screen-shot):

1. reinstalled Hyper-V (because I need it) but did not create an "External Switch" for the VM's that need Internet access
2. checked that Wifi Direct still works (so not the installation of Hyper-V disables WiFi Direct but the "External Switch" that bridges to the WiFi adapter and only one adapter may bridge to it (its written in a popup when you try to add another adapter)
3. created instead an "Internal Switch". This creates a virtual adapter on the host that is connected to this new switch. No bridging of any type and no modification of the former Wifi adapter's behavior. This switch lets all VM's communicate among them AND the Host, which is connected to the switch as stated before. But no IP schema here. So I decided to do ICS. By sharing the Internet Connection of the WiFi adapter, it becomes a NAT, DHCP and DNS Proxy for the network where it is attached. So the VM's receive their IP configuration from it.
Now everything works fine.
I'll show it to my grandma so she can setup hers :-(
Windows is still no "Consumer" product. Or maybe yes, it's made for being sold. Some may end up by use it.

Capture.JPG

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
OK, several hours later, I have a viable solution (see result in attached screen-shot):

1. reinstalled Hyper-V (because I need it) but did not create an "External Switch" for the VM's that need Internet access
2. checked that Wifi Direct still works (so not the installation of Hyper-V disables WiFi Direct but the "External Switch" that bridges to the WiFi adapter and only one adapter may bridge to it (its written in a popup when you try to add another adapter)
3. created instead an "Internal Switch". This creates a virtual adapter on the host that is connected to this new switch. No bridging of any type and no modification of the former Wifi adapter's behavior. This switch lets all VM's communicate among them AND the Host, which is connected to the switch as stated before. But no IP schema here. So I decided to do ICS. By sharing the Internet Connection of the WiFi adapter, it becomes a NAT, DHCP and DNS Proxy for the network where it is attached. So the VM's receive their IP configuration from it.
Now everything works fine.
I'll show it to my grandma so she can setup hers :-(
Windows is still no "Consumer" product. Or maybe yes, it's made for being sold. Some may end up by use it.

View attachment 7105
I'm confused why your grandmother is needing to use Hyper-V????? I'm glad that you have configured a fix for your advanced configuration needs.