Solved Win 10 activation problem dock/no dock

Discussion in 'Windows 10 on Surface Pro 3' started by mickjf, Aug 30, 2015.

1. mickjf

mickjf New Member

Aug 3, 2015
    My Device:
    So while trying to resolve a problem with the dock USB3 ports operating at USB2 speeds I unintentionally solved a problem I'd had with Win 10 not activating from a clean install after a successful in place upgrade.

Can't believe I didn't twig to this earlier but when I did the in place upgrade to Win 10 I did it while connected to the dock. Then when I did a clean install later with my SP3 undocked Win 10 refused to activate.

It is seeing different hardware from the initial in place upgrade so refused to activate. I can see this might end up being a real pain for people who either sell their dock or their SP3 to someone without the dock the upgrade was done with.
    ximoosea likes this.
  2. ximoosea

ximoosea Member

Mar 12, 2013
    Wow, maybe that explains my problem. I did the proper upgrade from Win8.1 to Windows 10. It activated fine and I ran that way for a few weeks. I never liked how the upgrade left remnants of files/directories and how it created a mess with the partitions. Thus, I decided to do a clean install of Windows 10. The clean install did not activate and after 2!!! hours on hold and on the phone with Microsoft, the answer I got was that my key was fine and it should activate within 3 days. Three days later, no activation. Instead of calling and waiting on hold again I decided to try another fresh install. This time I was at home without my dock. Sure enough it activated this time. Not sure it was what you described or not, but it seems very plausible. Wish I would have seen your advice a week ago!