What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad that I had the chance to participate.

In the end it took me two days to get back to windows 8.1. First I've tried to see if there was a recovery image but the system could not find one. so I downloaded the recovery files from microsoft and the system did not accept them. Than I downloaded a ilegal version of windows 8.0 (I'M NOT PROUD OF DOING SO..!! but I had no choice..)

Advice: Never put windows 8.0 on your machine because it will never let you update to windows 8.1 and it wont recognize all of your system hardware (not even the touchscreen).

so I tried installing the surface pro 3 drivers manually but it will give you all kinds of errors because the drivers dont like windows 8.0. In the meanwhile I had no working internet connection because there were no drivers that would work. I had to use my usb 3.0 to RJ-45 adapter and use a cat 5 cable to my laptop and share the internet connection to get acces to the net.

In the end I found a windows 8.1 ISO (dutch version my native language) on the internet and installed it. But before I could install 8.1 I needed a genuine product key. I've used a tool to sniff out the OEM product key that came preinstalled in the BIOS of the SP3.

I just finnished installing 8.1 and manually succeeded in installing all of the SP3 drivers so now there are no yellow triangles inside device manager.

pffff I'm so tired right now.. I was ready to pull out my hair over this.. Took me 2 days to get here.. 2 days..

What tool did you use?

fuzzy2651

First time long time here...

Count me as another who has reverted back to 8.1 on my Pro 3. Don't get me wrong, I was really impressed with Windows 10, but like many others, I found myself missing many of the more "touch friendly" features that are in 8.1. The main reasons for switching back were:

1. OneNote completely broke. I couldn't open the app. I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it, but then I would get an error message saying it couldn't install. This was pretty important to me as I'm also a student and I take all my class notes in OneNote.

2. I wasn't able to authenticate to the WiFi network at school because the browser window wasn't popping up to allow me to enter my login credentials. It got annoying always having to use my phone as a hotspot, and one of my classrooms had terrible cell phone reception.

3. My antivirus software, AVG, would install, but wouldn't "turn on". I'm pretty careful about my web browsing, but not having AV scared the crap out of me.

4. Modern IE. I missed it to no end.

I am still running Win 10 Tech Preview on my work laptop and it's great. I do have issues with it using an inordinate amount of RAM to the point the screen blacks out and tells me the machine is low on RAM and I just have to do a hard reboot. It's a Dell XPS with an i5 2.5GHz and 6 GB or RAM. I'm dealing with it though.

As far as reverting back to 8.1 on my Surface, I didn't have any problems. Luckily as the IT Manager at my work, I grabbed an 8.1 Pro USB stick that Dell is shipping with their laptops now and reloaded it with that. It was missing a bunch of device drivers, but I downloaded the Pro 3 driver package from Microsoft to a USB stick and installed them. All I really cared about was the wireless driver so I could install updates. I had no issue with activating Windows, which surprised me a little bit, but I wasn't going to complain. I'm looking forward to the new builds of 10 that hopefully fix some if the issues I was having and I really want Cortana on my Surface!! haha

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Great that you continue to use both Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 Technical Preview, @fuzzy2651 . Please keep giving your feedback on both at these forums.

Watch for the January Technical Preview release. Maybe that will work much better on your Dell XPS - and your Surface Pro 3, eventually.

offshell

Whats the final install size if I wanted to try dual booting windows 10 and 8.1? I mean what would you reasonably be comfortable with for testing purposes as the smallest partition?

ptrkhh

For you guys who want to rollback to stock, you can consider using the WIMBoot image that I made (its in my signature down below). Its based on the stock SP3 image, so you wont miss anything. Ive been using it for a couple of weeks with no issue at all.

You can also use it for non-WIMBoot installation, but I didn't put ready-made script there, so you need to make one, or copy it from Microsoft's resource here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh304353(v=ws.10).aspx
Also take note that winre.wim is not inside install.wim (WIMBoot requirement), so you need to tweak the script from the aforementioned link

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Bump

Still going strong with Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 9879 - and eagerly awaiting the January release, with Continuum and Cortana.

I really like the way the touch screen works with Google Earth.

Screenshot (233).png

Screenshot (234).png

Screenshot (235).png

Screenshot (237).png

nalbagli

Watching videos and previews of Windows 10 in youtube, I wanted to know how will the SP3 be usable as a Tablet now that the Metro Interface is gone?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Watching videos and previews of Windows 10 in youtube, I wanted to know how will the SP3 be usable as a Tablet now that the Metro Interface is gone?
It is not gone....at least permanently, it is rumored to make its come back with the January Consumer Preview, as there is a non-desktop SKU for Phones and Small Screen Tablets, Hybrid Devices will have a contextual UI that is able to switch between the Touch and Desktop UIs.

The Tech Preview we're using is just the Desktop Implementation of Windows 10....

nalbagli

It is not gone....at least permanently, it is rumored to make its come back with the January Consumer Preview, as there is a non-desktop SKU for Phones and Small Screen Tablets, Hybrid Devices will have a contextual UI that is able to switch between the Touch and Desktop UIs.

The Tech Preview we're using is just the Desktop Implementation of Windows 10....

Great to know, I really want to try it, I've been loving my surface althoug I still can't get used to having metro and desktop apps for the same things, i find it a bit confusing

Status
Not open for further replies.