Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Windows 10 may be free, or 'free' with a OneDrive fee. Likely to be very affordable, similar to Apple, if not free.

CV81

If we install the Windows 10 technical preview, is there a smooth transition to stable build or a whole reinstall again to support official windows 10?

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
If we install the Windows 10 technical preview, is there a smooth transition to stable build or a whole reinstall again to support official windows 10?

No guarantees - but likely that the final Build is so close, or identical to the final, that the transition would be engineered to be smooth.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Current thought by Microsoft, if you stay with the Builds they make available you should be able to upgrade to RTM as one of the goals is the concept of "Flighting" which allows for the installation over the top (you end up with a Windows.old folder). If you install an out of band build (leaked) they don't support "Flighting" so you would need to do a fresh install.

Flighting is key to the Microsoft Fast Update Strategy....

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
If it were free, and out of beta, would you put it on an SP3 i5 with 4GB of RAM?

It's currently free and not out of beta, and i have it on the i5/4gb and it is fantastic. Not perfect for touch ,but perfectly doable, and i've no desire to go back now.

GTiceman

Which build? I narrowed the lockups to Lync using debug, even after a fresh install of Office if Lync is running and it the SP3 tries to enter CS it locks up, it is directly related to the GDI Bug that also affects inking in OneNote 2013...which is why I'm using OneNote MUI for inking...
It was last official build and Lync 15.0.4675.1000

SteveMac

Just a quick question, can anyone confirm if scaling is somewhat (or totally) fixed in Windows 10 with the developer preview. This is my biggest frustration right now. I'm going to jump on the next combined release of Windows 10, just trying to schedule it in my head.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Just a quick question, can anyone confirm if scaling is somewhat (or totally) fixed in Windows 10 with the developer preview. This is my biggest frustration right now. I'm going to jump on the next combined release of Windows 10, just trying to schedule it in my head.
Its better but not 100%, it can't fix bad Win32 Code that uses XP Scaling....

CV81

I'm on Windows 10 9841 now. Very exciting. A couple things with the SP3 I've had happen.

1. The apps with WindowsLive didn't come over right. They error on load, ie. the Windows Live Mail
2. The SP3 pen isn't doing the functions like double click and on onenote it doesn't use the regular pen effect, its like shape tool.

If anyone could help with the two things above, that would be really helpful.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.