What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Something that drives me nuts: using OneNote, hitting the task bar every 5 minutes with my palm and launching programs. Next step Microsoft, when in tablet mode, no taskbar.

I always found this an issue. And as such i just moved the taskbar to the top. Have absolutely no issue using it this way, only took a day or so to adapt and actually prefer it. Only drawback is you can't swipe to close MUI apps.

polbit

Well, I installed 10 on my SP3, and after actually using it fully for a day, I'm going back to 8.1 (which is BTW such a PITA, should be much easier). Lack of Metro IE (the script method nonwithstanding), some unexpected fan/heat once in a while, few smaller issues with improper spacing (usual stuff expected in a Preview Edition), etc. would've been growing pains, but the main issue - I realized I've gotten used to the way Windows 8.1 works, and for this device which I use primarily as a tablet, Windows 10 is a regression in usability, IMHO. I guess I'm getting old!

I've decided to keep my old SP2 instead of selling it, and will keep updating that one with all the new 10 builds so I can follow the development, and I hope that MS can improve on the user experience for the hybrid world.

pbaird

Is anyone else having trouble using Juniper VPN with build 10041? It launches and connects, but I can't access any intranet resources.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
i've been booting win10 from a .vhdx and it seems to work fine.

there is but one thing that really bothers me on windows 10! The brightness setting! Swipe from the right, Display opens in a new window where you can set the brigthness.
Am i doing something wrong? Or is there no easier way? this was way better on windows 8.1.

btw Brightness, IMHO the automatic brightness setting seems to work quite good, compared to win8.1 where it sucked.
Brightness is under Power Management....I hope they add it to the Action Center

gbenrus25

I see they still haven't improved the start screen in the new build.
1) I dislike that it scrolls downwards. Fingers are naturally placed to scroll left - right instead of downwards. Don't you guys feel the same way?
2) The applications on the left is a waste of screen real estate. Much prefer Windows 8.1's full screen usage

m0v1em4n

What happen to continuum ? thought the SP3 was suppose to change to tablet mode when detached from the keyboard, that don't seem to happen any more, in fact if I want to use tablet mode have to switch myself that can't be right can it :rolleyes: :D

Must admit it would have been nice to be taken to another desktop that has perhaps a different wallpaper and tiles for our metro app when the key board is remove, that's was my idea on continuum.

m0v1em4n

I see they still haven't improved the start screen in the new build.
1) I dislike that it scrolls downwards. Fingers are naturally placed to scroll left - right instead of downwards. Don't you guys feel the same way?
2) The applications on the left is a waste of screen real estate. Much prefer Windows 8.1's full screen usage

Don't mind the application on the left, ( could take it or leave it ) but I can't see the point of having to press the all apps button at the bottom to be able to scroll all the apps.
Know its something to do with newly install apps, but do we need a special place for our newly install apps

gbenrus25

Don't mind the application on the left, ( could take it or leave it ) but I can't see the point of having to press the all apps button at the bottom to be able to scroll all the apps.
Know its something to do with newly install apps, but do we need a special place for our newly install apps
Windows 8.1 had the same button for new apps installed. My biggest issue is the real estate. I felt it was used optimally in Windows 8.1 and since desktop users shouldn't really be bothering with the start screen, why make it worse for tablet users?

I tried Windows 10 build 9926 but felt that in terms of the tablet UX, it was a real let down. Continuum is great though and having Windowed MUI apps also works well but the start screen and full-screen mode don't work as well as they used to in Windows 8.1. With the new build, do you now get to use fullscreen apps in different widths and can you now use up to 3 apps at once on the screen in full screen mode (similar to Windows 8.1)?

B

B'midbar

In twenty-five years one thing hasn't changed with Windoze - systems gets unstable, wonky - reboot.

After a full day at work, everything seems to work as I expected. Everything except that I cannot pair the pen. The light on the pen does not go on after a 7-10 sec press of the purple button. I HAVE inserted two brand new 319 batteries. I HAVE triplechecked that the batteries are correctly positioned (negative towards the tip of the pen). The pen works fine, can write, erase, rightclick with it. But not pair it which means that starting Onenote or capture screens does not work. If anyone have any ideas (except getting even newer batteries), please let me know :).
The batteries I bought today is called MAXELL SR527SW SILVER BATTERY 1.55V, labeled 319.

Speaking of pen issues, is anyone finding that the pen doesn't always register when using the new input text panel (which I love btw)? Also the pen is a big hit or miss in the new OneNote preview. In OneNote 2013 it works just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.