What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kris

A friend of mine claims that he read somewhere there is a way to prevent MS from tracking everything you do while using the tech preview... of course he isn't using the tech preview and can't remember where he read it. I Googled it but found nothing, I think he was making shit up or misread but figured I would ask if anyone has head anything about this...

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
A friend of mine claims that he read somewhere there is a way to prevent MS from tracking everything you do while using the tech preview...

Very simple. Here's the complete instructions of how to do that:
1) Install Windows Technical Preview
2) Disconnect your computer from all internet services.

Your friend may have been disconnected for quite a while. ;)

r0b123

Anyone receive today's latest Tuesday 10/28/2014 updates? Seems there's a lot of fixes but not sure if latest build 9860 will receive these:

• Surface Pro UEFI update (v3.11.250.0) enhances the system stability, increases the reliability of the graphics display performance, and adds a status bar to the experience when applying future System Firmware Updates.
  • Surface Pro Embedded Controller Firmware update (v38.7.50.0) increases the reliability of sleep state transitions with a Surface Pro 3 Docking Station connected.
  • Surface Integration update (v2.0.1168.0) addresses setting the Hibernate value in Windows 10.
  • Intel(R) 8 Series PCI Express Root Port #3 – 9C14 update (v2.0.1151.0) addresses cases when the Wi-Fi adapter is not available upon resuming the system from sleep.
  • Wireless Network Controller and Bluetooth driver update (v15.68.3059.117) improves Wi-Fi throughput, especially after rebooting with Bluetooth devices that are paired, enhances power consumption situations, and addresses instances of system instability.

Nummer35

When you tap with three fingers on the trackpad from your typecover the startmenu pops up. Already known or new Feature?! Looking forward to a swipegesture for sswitching desktops ;)

OP
sharpuser

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, that is a known gesture:

- TRACKPAD GESTURES -

1 finger tap - Primary mouse click
2 finger tap - Secondary mouse click
3 finger tap - Start Menu

1 finger swipe - Mouse move
2 finger swipe - Window scroll

Coming soon:
3 finger swipe down - Show clear desktop (hide windows)
3 finger swipe up - Resume desktop content (show windows)
3 finger swipe left - Task switcher / desktop switcher, then 2 fingers to choose task / desktop

News: Microsoft Borrows Mac Trackpad Gestures

- TOUCH SCREEN GESTURES -

Swipe from the right - Charms menu
Swipe from the right slowly -
Swipe from the left - Switch applications / windows
Swipe from the left slowly - Snap window to screen position
Swipe from the left then back - Show currently running apps
Swipe down from the top (Applications) - Capture and move window
Swipe down from the top (Modern User Interface) - Settings menu

Last edited:

DXL007

How did you manage this?

I turned on Hyper-V on my system, then created a VHD. Attached the .ISO of the OS that I downloaded from MS as a DVD, then started up the Virtual Machine. It will boot from the DVD .ISO and install it to the VHD.

mitchellvii

With the latest version of W10 my SP3 is running a lot hotter and the fan is blasting pretty much full speed even when just browsing. Under 8.1 it almost never ran at all.

Anyone else? The thing that seems to be running a lot and using up CPU is Windows Defender but I'n not running any virus scans at all. Why would Defender be running so hard?

P.S., Just noticed that Defender is in fact running a virus scan. Weird. I didn't tell it to do that and none were scheduled.

Status
Not open for further replies.