What's new

Windows 10 Tech Preview on SP1

ipher

I installed the Windows 10 Technical Preview on my Surface Pro 1, and haven't had any kind of issues so far! The preview seemed to have all of the drivers pre-baked into the image. I installed it from Win8.1, with the "Keep Nothing" option, so it may have pulled the drivers from my old install... Has anybody else tried it?

Last edited:

lparsons21

I've done it a couple times.

First time I had it install straight to the SP1 and kept everything. All my apps and such worked just fine. But I decided that W10 isn't really ready for the touch interface and went back to W8.1. THAT was not fun at all!!

Now I just finished installing it in a VM. I got the free VMWare Player and then got the 32-bit version of W10 and the install was slick as could be. I even had it get the info from the OneDrive backup so I wouldn't have to fiddle too much to get things the way I want them.

In a VM it works just fine though it is a bit slower. Not enough to irritate, just a little. The advantage of using the VM is that I can just delete it when I'm finished fiddling around or when the release version comes out next year.

One note. Since taking the SP1 back to W8.1 was such a PITA, I've since made an image with my WD version of Acronis which would make doing a complete restore much easier and smoother. Or at least that's what they tell me!! :)

jeffskent

I installed the Windows 10 Technical Preview on my Surface Pro 1, and haven't had any kind of issues so far! The preview seemed to have all of the drivers pre-baked into the image. I installed it from Win8.1, with the "Keep Nothing" option, so it may have pulled the drivers from my old install... Has anybody else tried it?

I've installed Win 10 on two other laptops I own, but I hesitate to install it on the SP1 because I am afraid the beta install may mess up the recovery partition for some unknown reason. Win 10 runs fine on the other two laptops, but, since I use the SP1 as my main machine, I don't want to take any chances with it. I'll wait at least until the Consumer Preview Release, but even that one could cause issues like I ran into when I installed a beta of 8.1 and then had to go all the way back to 8.0, install all the updates, and then install a clean version of 8.1.

lparsons21

I've installed Win 10 on two other laptops I own, but I hesitate to install it on the SP1 because I am afraid the beta install may mess up the recovery partition for some unknown reason. Win 10 runs fine on the other two laptops, but, since I use the SP1 as my main machine, I don't want to take any chances with it. I'll wait at least until the Consumer Preview Release, but even that one could cause issues like I ran into when I installed a beta of 8.1 and then had to go all the way back to 8.0, install all the updates, and then install a clean version of 8.1.

It doesn't mess up the recovery partition, but it does change it so that it will restore to W10 and not the original W8. You have to do some seriously irritating convolutions to get it back to original and it isn't fun at all.

I'm now in a better situation with fiddling around with W10 should I so desire. I recently bought a WD MyBook and it came with Acronis 2013 WD edition. I've made images of the 3 computers to it and made a boot stick so I can recover to whenever the images were made. The recovery this way is clean and simple, or at least simpler than the built-in recovery tools, and you end up with your machine back to exactly what it was the image was made.

There are other similar tools to do this too. Macrium for instance.

cmergel

Not much activity on the topic. I put Build 9879 on the SP1 when it came out and it is really working great. Looking forward to further updates.

*my sp3 is my primary work device, so I am holding out until consumer preview comes out.