What's new

2 "Screen On/Off" questions

KennyB123

2 questions - first is a possible bug and the second is a design qualm.

1. I find that (at least) when I have my SP3 i5 128 at home, and I turn the screen off with the power button, that it's only a matter of seconds to minutes before the lock screen pops on and stays on for a long time. I don't have exact data for you, but it's extremely annoying. The SP3 is plugged in, with a Logitech wireless mouse on. The wireless mouse has a tiny usb adapter plugged either directly into the 1 port, or into a 4 port USB hub.

I'm 99% sure I'm not bumping the mouse to wake up the machine, and sometimes I even turn the mouse off to make sure of it.

Any ideas? The only software running in the background could be Chrome and sometimes uTorrent.

2. I really miss the days (just weeks ago) where I could plug in my 2nd screen (60" Samsung TV) and watch a tv show or movie, all while having the computer screen turned off. My laptop had a Function-Fkey option to turn off the main screen. Obviously, clicking the power button while watching a show on the SP3 will shut them both down, as it goes into "connected standby."

If I were to disable connected standby, as I've seen instructions for by altering power management, could I configure the power button to only turn off the SP3 screen and leave the show playing on the TV? I really have no use for connected standby, as I pretty much do everything in the desktop.

Thanks for your advice / tips!

-Ken

xcolt45

As for #2... You do know that it is possible to just project it to the second screen only (your external monitor) the SP3 screen will be off when this is selected

xcolt45

Meant to attach this earlier.

F7(Device Button) > Project > Second Screen Only

Attachments

• 2ndso.jpg
    2ndso.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 443
OP
K

KennyB123

Meant to attach this earlier.

F7(Device Button) > Project > Second Screen Only

I didn't know about that feature, thanks. It's not quite as easy as just turning off the screen on and off with a quick key combo, but it definitely works. Sometimes I like to check something on the computer while watching tv, and turn the screen off again. Not possible here, but still, thank you.

Striknine

I'm having the same issue#1. I'll put my SP3 to sleep to find the lock screen on when I open it up. This causes the machine to get hot. Nothing running in the background that I know of and the lock screen will not automatically turn off after a certain amount of time. Didn't have this issue on my SP1. Sometimes I will not close the keyboard and I'll notice it just turns on by itself. How can I get this to sleep without the screen coming on? This is running my battery down when in my bag.