What's new

A new forum for Graphics and Photography

Dblkk

Kind of empty in this thread.

Any idea why while launching autocad 2014, my graphics card crashes and ends the program loading process. I had this problem with sony vegas pro 13 as well, but a quick uninstall and reinstall fixed that one. Tried several times on autocad and nothing. Installed intels new drivers, uninstalled new drivers. Still no way to launch.

Note * this is not huge problem, as I'm not using nor expecting the surface to be my main AutoCAD machine. I have a MSI workstation laptop, and PC for that.

Maximus3D

It could have been a problem with OpenGL support by the graphics driver, 3D and CAD applications are very sensitive to that and if it's not exactly correct you will experience crashes and instability.

/ Magnus

Maximus3D

Not that i am aware of on the Surface, but on a stationary rig i usually just update the graphicsdriver and DirectX if it's not up to date. It 'can' resolve such issues.

There should be other users of AutoCAD or other CAD/solids applications on this forum so let's see if they will reply. I just do regular 3D modeling, animation and rendering on my Surface and i have not yet run into any issues with my software.

/ Magnus

Dblkk

Not that i am aware of on the Surface, but on a stationary rig i usually just update the graphicsdriver and DirectX if it's not up to date. It 'can' resolve such issues.

There should be other users of AutoCAD or other CAD/solids applications on this forum so let's see if they will reply. I just do regular 3D modeling, animation and rendering on my Surface and i have not yet run into any issues with my software.

/ Magnus
well, thread is newer, so high hopes someone will be able to pop up with similar problems and possibly a fix.

I wouldn't suggest using the surface as your main for average to heavy 3d or rendering usage though. its low end capable, yes. but the ssd is sealed inside with almost no hope of replacement. both 3d and rendering eat up write cycles and fast.

which I'm sure you know, just off chance you didn't id want to mention to you. writing to a removable would help a bit, but its the temp files/cache and process itself that are the write producers.

but thanks for your help.

its not a huge deal as I have workstation pc and laptop for my main, but sometimes I just need to fix something quick and don't always carry my 9lb laptop with me.

Maximus3D

Yep i'm aware of the limitations but i'm only using the Surface as a 'on-the'road' tool, i still got my main workstation at home.

I'm sure there is a way to resolve this issue you are experiencing, we just need to get more input from actual AutoCAD users. Unfortunately i cannot give better feedback than what i have done so far.

/ Magnus

Dblkk

Have you tried the newest Intel HD 4400 Driver? It has better OpenGL support...
Yes I've done both pre (stock) and Intel newest drivers. No difference. I used the driver uninstall software off guru3d.com site to make sure drivers were fully uninstalled.

Not sure which one I'm on right now (driver wise), but for now just accepted that if my day is dealing with AutoCAD at all, finished or working on, and there might be even the smallest need to tweak something. I just bring my laptop along with.

Sony Vegas Pro 13 was/is the more wanted 'working' program I'm worried about. As I use that and Lightroom a lot on the go. Not for major editing or anything. But if I'm out with family or doing some a mature photo/video for a friend/family, then I can do quick edits and leave them with something before I go back home. It usually takes me a few days to a week to 'fully' edit my days captures. So this way at least they have something to hold them over. Typically what I leave are uploaded to Facebook, ect. And then when I ship them the final disk a week or so later, that's what prints/ect. are produced from.

AutoCAD there is rarely the need to change something. As my final project is typically 100% by the time I'm dropping it off. If its not, I usually have my laptop there as well so that they tell me any ending tweaks they want.

But I know when I deal with Rockwell automation software, making PLC programs. That's a lighter program, I just use my workstation laptop as that's a 17' screen and a lot easier on the eyes. But final tweaks or troubleshooting while at the company while downloading are needed. But that works almost perfect on the surface. But that's more a windows 8 problem. As program itself is based xp, with modding/porting for windows 7. But I can tell you, plugging the surface pro into the machine computer, and using pen input to insert/troubleshoot the program, is a HECK!!! Of a lot easier than trying to balance my laptop in my left hand and use trackpad/keyboard with my right.

Throw that in with the OneNote and pen ability to take all my notes and save them digitally. That's what makes the surface pro a priceless tool for me. I have my pc workstation at home, msi workstation laptop 17", apple MacBook pro retina 13, galaxy note 10.1, Asus g750 jz for gaming, and with all that I still 'NEED' the surface pro. And probably use it as often as I do my cell phone.

The surface isn't the best laptop, its keyboard and lack of hinge, its thermal dissipation, lack of quad core CPU, lack of dedicated gpu, replaceable/upgradeable storage, ect.
The surface isn't the best tablet, battery life, size, weight, ect.

But it is the niche between then all, efficient at all, master at none philosophy. Which makes it great.
And for pen enabled full windows tablet, its just perfect. Its the Alienate 18 of gaming, the MacBook pro retina of editing, the MacBook air of battery, the Quadra/Tesla/firepro of workstation graphics and the NVIDIA 980 of gaming graphics.