What's new

Acer thinks Microsoft Surface will fail

dascrow

Administrator
Staff member
acer-epic-fail-surface.png

Just a couple of days after Microsoft has unwrapped the Microsoft Surface, pc hardware companies are starting to express their voice with the new direction the software giant is heading.

Microsoft needs to stick to software, Oliver Ahrens, senior VP and president for Europe, Middle East and Africa told Reuters Thursday. Taiwan-based Acer is the world’s fourth biggest PC maker, behind HP, Lenovo, and Dell.

“I don’t think it will be successful because you cannot be a hardware player with two products,” Ahrens reportedly said. “Microsoft is a component of a PC system. A very important component but still a component.” “Instead of enhancing the user experience for Win 8 (…) they open a new battlefield,” Ahrens said.”I worry that this will lead into a defocus internally for Microsoft, and then we have to suffer because we are working with their products.”

Thoughts?

Continue Reading @ PC Maker Acer: Microsoft's Surface Will Fail - Forbes

Ollie

Microsoft is so huge that they can focus on more projects than all hardware manufacturers combined.

I take it Acer didn't make the initial cut for Win8 tablets?

MOFO

Sounds like ACER is taking the Surface way too lightly, ACER can only dream of having a product like this.

J515OP

Super Moderator
I say that sometimes, so I guess I'm a they. Can't tell you the meaning though ;)

Silly comments by Acer. In reality MS is not getting in the hardware business, it isn't like they are suddenly going to try and become the next Dell. Even if the Surface is supremely successful MS is only going to make one or two models with no interest in becoming a hardware manufacturer. The only reason for Acer to be afraid is if they can't make their own compelling products in which case they deserve to fail. Fortunately they do make compelling products so why lose focus on what one competitor (MS) is doing. MS hardware is the least of their hardware competition concerns.

Skywaffle

Super Moderator
I am sure many people are looking at the Surface and would clearly rather go out and buy an Aspire Netbook :p