What's new

Adobe Bridge Hardware graphics acceleration?

BobG

I noticed a few members here are using PhotoShop. One of my favorite features of PhotoShop is the Bridge application. However, when I had CS4 installed on my Surface Pro 2 I noticed that it didn't recognize the HD4400 as a capable GPU, and would only offer software rendering. This makes the slideshow functionality really unbearable, with a lot of flickering during transitions. That is just one example of poor behavior with software rendering.

I'm thinking of starting into the PhotoShop $9.99 subscription for photographers for my new Surface Pro 3, as I don't want to use CS4 anymore. Below is an example of where to look, though the dialog has probably changed a bit. This screen grab is from CS5 on a machine that does have a hardware accelerated GPU recognized by Bridge.

Example of card allowing hardware acceleration.jpg

Can anyone look in the Preferences dialog in Bridge CC and see if software rendering is ticked and greyed out? (This means no hardware rendering is possible).

Thanks in advance,

Bob Graham

mitchellvii

It looks different in the latest version of Photoshop but under "Performance" it lists the 4200 gpu (i3) and a box is checked saying, "Use GPU" so I'm guessing it is doing hardware rendering.

megatronium

You need to download the beta drivers for the HD5000 from intel's site for use with CC2014. For CS4, it may not work. To try, you have to add the hardware to the GPUsniffer config file in the Adobe folder.

OP
B

BobG

I think we're talking about three different machines here... and that's OK, I wasn't just looking for feedback from 128GB/4Gb owners.

Only the i7 models have the 5000 graphics, and only the i3 has the 4200. The in between models have the 4400.

That being said, the internal framework of the three processors graphics section is probably similar, and if the 4200 is recognized as Hardware Acceleration capable by Bridge then all of them should.

mitchellvii, are you able to launch a slideshow in Bridge (go into a folder and press "Ctl + L") and tell me if the transitions from image to image are smooth?

Also telling of whether or not the graphics are able to handle PhotoShop well is to open a large image in PhotoShop and "throw" it using the hand tool. If the image glides smoothly, then the hardware is keeping up well.

Thanks all, Bob

OP
B

BobG

Ok, I bought into the damn adobe subscription and installed bridge and photoshop. I go into bridge preferences, advanced and software rendering is ticked and greyed out. I'm still FORCED to use the crappy software rendering.

Launched a slideshow just to see what the performance is like, and just as before, dissolves between slides are a choppy, useless mess.

Downloaded the latest driver from Intel, both the exe and the zip. Cannot install!!!

Tried using advanced startup with the option to disable signed driver enforcement. Still can't install it.

Arrrgggghhhhhh! :mad:

Has anybody successfully installed newest driver: 15.33.22.64.3621 successfully?

Thanks. I hope.

megatronium

Ok, I bought into the damn adobe subscription and installed bridge and photoshop. I go into bridge preferences, advanced and software rendering is ticked and greyed out. I'm still FORCED to use the crappy software rendering.

Launched a slideshow just to see what the performance is like, and just as before, dissolves between slides are a choppy, useless mess.

Downloaded the latest driver from Intel, both the exe and the zip. Cannot install!!!

Tried using advanced startup with the option to disable signed driver enforcement. Still can't install it.

Arrrgggghhhhhh! :mad:

Has anybody successfully installed newest driver: 15.33.22.64.3621 successfully?

Thanks. I hope.

You have i7?

mitchellvii

Yeah just realized this myself today as well. Photoshop rocks, Bridge blows. The latest intel drivers won't help - software rendering still grayed out. You may want to check with Adobe and see if they have a patch.

Nevertheless, here is how to install the latest drivers:

1) Download the .zip file and unpack it.
2) Go into device manager and delete your current video driver.
3) Reboot.
4) Go back to your original unzipped driver file and double click setup.
5) It will install.

** One of the benefits of using the regular Intel driver is that you now have access to the HD Control Panel and can set gamma, etc.

OP
B

BobG

Yeah just realized this myself today as well. Photoshop rocks, Bridge blows. The latest intel drivers won't help - software rendering still grayed out. You may want to check with Adobe and see if they have a patch.

Nevertheless, here is how to install the latest drivers:

1) Download the .zip file and unpack it.
2) Go into device manager and delete your current video driver.
3) Reboot.
4) Go back to your original unzipped driver file and double click setup.
5) It will install.

** One of the benefits of using the regular Intel driver is that you now have access to the HD Control Panel and can set gamma, etc.
Some people report temperature changes, fairly significant. Have you noticed any?

Len J

I know people are used to what they are used to, but LR works great and the interface between LR & PS is seamless....and LR has cataloging capabilities and other capabilities Bridge doesn't. Might be worth a try.

Len

mitchellvii

No temp problems at all.

One thing, MS will keep trying to replace these awesome drivers with their crappy version. It will be in the form of a "hardware update". If you install that it will roll back the driver to the one without the Control Panel.