What's new

Alarm Clock

lcavada

I have prodded in this forum and other places on the web, but could not find assistance.

I want to set up the SP3 alarm clock, and have it ring to wake me up in the morning.

I have tried with the unit plugged into AC, and on battery power.

In both cases, it seems the SP3 is shutting down. I get no alarm clock or even emails received during the night.

What do i need to do in order to have it running in some mode so it stays awake during the night?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Plug it in then set the Power Management to not Sleep when plugged in, make sure you set your Quiet Hours so you don't hear notifications all night.

foghat

Of course doing this requires you leave the screen is on all night. Can't believe sleep and turn off screen are not independent options.

BobG

They are...

2014-09-03_11-03-22.png

foghat

No, they are not. You will notice if you change the setting there, it also changes the 'put the computer to sleep' value on the Edit Plan Settings main screen to the same value. You need to close the window and reopen 'more power options' to see the change.

If you disable connected standby, then you can do this. But I don't want it disabled.

BobG

Hmm, didn't study it that hard. I played with it once so I could keep the Metro Music app going with the display off, and that worked so I didn't go back in.

foghat

I think the metro apps will continue working while you are in connected standby - which is 4 hours after the screen is off. So not quite long enough for an alarm clock - unless you are just having a nap.

malberttoo

I think the metro apps will continue working while you are in connected standby - which is 4 hours after the screen is off. So not quite long enough for an alarm clock - unless you are just having a nap.

4 hours on battery. If you leave it plugged into AC power, then it stays in Connected Standby and does not hibernate.

OP
L

lcavada

Well after trying these suggestions, it appears to me there is no answer?

Did I miss something?

I do not want the display on all night....even if its running a screen saver.

foghat

Well after trying these suggestions, it appears to me there is no answer?

Did I miss something?

I do not want the display on all night....even if its running a screen saver.

I tried the alarm, it rang fine when the surface was off (in sleep - connected standby). So as long as you plug it in at night the alarm should go off even if the screen is not on.

One thing I did have to do to get the alarm to work was to turn notification sounds on (I had previously turned them off). Without them on, the alarm would not make any noise even if I had the surface on and was viewing the alarm app.

As a side note, the Ambient Alarm Clock app seems to be a better than the default app.

OP
L

lcavada

I tried the alarm, it rang fine when the surface was off (in sleep - connected standby). So as long as you plug it in at night the alarm should go off even if the screen is not on.

One thing I did have to do to get the alarm to work was to turn notification sounds on (I had previously turned them off). Without them on, the alarm would not make any noise even if I had the surface on and was viewing the alarm app.

As a side note, the Ambient Alarm Clock app seems to be a better than the default app.

Thanks.

How did you manage to separate the screen off and have it stay in connected standby. Usually it is Screen off = Sleep

In the old days, you could tell PC - turn of screen after X minutes, NEVER sleep.
I cannot find a way to do this in the SP3.