What's new

Anniversary update

Rajahmon

After clearing the update block the 1607 install terminates at the 6% point and restores the previous W10 version (1511).

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum rajahmon

Not much information to go on, but the first port of call is to ask if you have a micro SD card installed? Many an update has been foiled by it.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have any pending Firmware Updates? Have you modified any drivers (i.e using the Intel Reference Driver)? Are you using a USB based Dock that uses a DisplayLink Driver? Lastly disable 3rd Party A/V or Security Suites.

OP
R

Rajahmon

Firmware updated 11/9. Don't know what Intel Reference Driver is. No dock, using a USB hub. Using Defender only.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Firmware updated 11/9. Don't know what Intel Reference Driver is. No dock, using a USB hub. Using Defender only.
This sounds like you may have corruption with your install, you can do a reset or download the ISO and try a fresh install.

OP
R

Rajahmon

It fails via WU and download using the Media Creator Tool. I tried installing from the USB drive but it's asking for a driver but I have no idea what it's for. Very confusing. WU doesn't give an error, just restores.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It fails via WU and download using the Media Creator Tool. I tried installing from the USB drive but it's asking for a driver but I have no idea what it's for. Very confusing. WU doesn't give an error, just restores.
Which driver?

OP
R

Rajahmon

It doesn't tell which driver. It gives strange instructions. It says remove the media, then says it needs a driver but doesn't say for what. It boots from the USB drive OK. Maybe I need to create the USB drive again.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It doesn't tell which driver. It gives strange instructions. It says remove the media, then says it needs a driver but doesn't say for what. It boots from the USB drive OK. Maybe I need to create the USB drive again.
I would download the recovery image and start completely over personally...

OP
R

Rajahmon

I have the Anniversary Update on a USB drive. I could do a clean install from there, right? I assume you mean do a clean install. That's more work than I expected to do. I have another Surface Pro 3 that updated without incident. One difference is that the failing one had the update blocked until a few days ago. I would start the WU of 1607 and leave it and when I came back I still had the old version, no message. Finally I watched it and saw it fail. At least using MCT gets me an error message although it doesn't help.