What's new

Anybody got notification that their SP4 i7 shipped?

Afy

Afy,

Granted, I mis-spoke out of anger when I wrote that. However Windows is a Microsoft product, and without Windows Microsoft would be a whole lot less than what they are today.

I will live with my Apple products of which you may think are crap, which is your opinion (maybe your a MS drone). I don't buy what everyone else is buying, I buy what I think will work. Apple has done so for me. They also deliver prior to their delivery expected dates which helps improve their relation with their purchasers. They have the flaws as well, but without any type of notification from MS in my situation until days after they where supposed to have shipped the product IS bad service.

I have canceled my order, and have requested return label for my keyboard. I WILL take my money elsewhere. It may not be an iPad Pro, but it will not be a Surface Pro. I am also see many complaints about different issues with the surface.

You should also remain on topic instead of going on a rampage about someone that has an issue with the way Microsoft treats its customers. Did you receive your Surface Pro i7 as promised ?
Not as yet since it hasn't been released here.

JuicyJ

Price was going up and up. So I picked extra ram vs larger hard drive. Main programs are stored on the hard drive. Whatever else I need, I can move via USB 3.0 and external hard drive.

I turned it on to see if it powered up. No internet at UPS. Took a few minutes before I got to desktop. Back of the surface was warm but not hot. Couldn't hear a fan. I know my SP2 would be about this warm booting up and idling. Oh. Battery as about 50%.

I'm still using the original Surface Pro from when it released. The only issues I've had besides the initial issues with wifi and such that were fixed via updates, is the yellowish tint on the right side of the screen. There's only one personal issue I have with the 64 GB SSD model I have (it was the only option available otherwise I would have went 128 GB). With the Windows 8.1 OS and all the updates, it only left me with about 7 GB free. I'm looking to upgrade soon, so my question to you is how much memory was left after you set it up and installed the first few updates? I can't justify $400 more for 512 GB when like you said, you can use the cloud or buy an external for a fraction of the price.

Afy

I'm still using the original Surface Pro from when it released. The only issues I've had besides the initial issues with wifi and such that were fixed via updates, is the yellowish tint on the right side of the screen. There's only one personal issue I have with the 64 GB SSD model I have (it was the only option available otherwise I would have went 128 GB). With the Windows 8.1 OS and all the updates, it only left me with about 7 GB free. I'm looking to upgrade soon, so my question to you is how much memory was left after you set it up and installed the first few updates? I can't justify $400 more for 512 GB when like you said, you can use the cloud or buy an external for a fraction of the price.
Which model are you going with? With the Pro 4 128 GB is the least amount of space you can get, and disk clean up is pretty good at freeing up space. I personally have gone with the 16 GB/256 GB.

JuicyJ

I'm looking at the i7/16GB/256GB, but after all the throttling reports I'm hearing about I don't know. I want to purchase one that will be future proof for at least 3-4 years, but it seems like the i5 just might be the most efficient variant yet. I think I may wait until they work out the problems before I make my decision.

OP
S

starstreak

if you want something to play a bit more games, the i7 is the way to go. So far in the benchmarks, it can be fast enough to play games that you wouldn't be able to play on the i5. I haven't tried any CPU intensive games, but I don't think it's throttling. The way the older Surface has problems.

I'm looking at the i7/16GB/256GB, but after all the throttling reports I'm hearing about I don't know. I want to purchase one that will be future proof for at least 3-4 years, but it seems like the i5 just might be the most efficient variant yet. I think I may wait until they work out the problems before I make my decision.

Afy

By the time all the bugs are worked out, the Surface 5 will be ready for release. That is just the sad reality of HW these days. For the vast majority of users the throttling issues will in all likelihood never arise. I will be using mine to code, design software etc, so unless I am doing something that is very cpu centric, like running an ETL process or something this is a non issue.
The i7 will outperform the i5 any day.