What's new

anything for android compatability?

flyfishingphil

Had an older android but gave that to granddaughter but was convinced, when replacing, that the Surface RT was the best replacement I could get. Sorry I listened to that guy. (There were several games and apps that I used on a regular basis, could share work with my laptop with no problem and viewed a wide range of videos much better on the android.)

Just wondering if anybody knows of an app that makes android materials fully workable on the Surface RT Windows system?

beman39

well with my RT and S2 I can log into my desktop and use any app on there, by using Splashtop, also I can join the homegroup and I have access to all my movies/music/documents and can stream them to my Surface, I don't know why your having so much trouble accessing/sharing with your laptop? as for games there is always going to be exclusive games for each device (like halo on MS), so perhaps you should have done your homework a little better? but I'm sure there must be an alternative? what games exactly were you hoping to find?

oion

No.

Android is a Linux-based operating system. Apps made for that won't run on Windows RT/Windows 8* just as programs made for Macs won't run on Android. (*On Windows 8 pro systems you have the option of trying BlueStacks, but that's hit or miss from what I hear.)

There are alternatives for most apps among the different app stores. List them out or go browsing. I mean, your "could share work with my laptop with no problem" is extremely generic and not useful for anyone who might want to help. There's Splashtop, Teamviewer, and the built-in Remote Desktop which depends on the OS of your target laptop, but if by "sharing" you mean just transferring files, then the solution is SkyDrive or a USB key. Never had issues with videos, but again, you give no specifics. MKV or what? (VLC is coming to Windows RT "soon," according to the last Kickstarter information I saw.)

D

Deleted member 10837

Genymotion is a much more comprehensive developer Android virtualization platform then BlueStacks.

oion

Genymotion is a much more comprehensive developer Android virtualization platform then BlueStacks.

OP would have to return/sell the Surface RT and go for the Pro for either of those options, then. Whether that's worth the additional $$$ is anyone's guess...

beman39

Why would he need SkyDrive or USB to "share" when he can just join the homegroup and share what he needs, don't get me wrong I'm not saying he can't do it that way, but it just sounds like your saying that's the only way he can share his folders/documents... I can share anything I want via the homegroup and as for movies I can view MKV movies using MobileHD app just fine :wink:

oion

Why would he need SkyDrive or USB to "share" when he can just join the homegroup and share what he needs, don't get me wrong I'm not saying he can't do it that way, but it just sounds like your saying that's the only way he can share his folders/documents... I can share anything I want via the homegroup and as for movies I can view MKV movies using MobileHD app just fine :wink:

Eh, I forgot about that option as the only time I really worry about sharing data is when I'm not actually at home on the same network to use a homegroup. "Sharing" could mean different things, though. That's up to the OP to clarify.