What's new

Bad font rendering in IE

DeltaXray

Still adjusting my workflow to the SP3 and one thing I'm trying to do is stay within Metro apps as much as possible, as I like the flexibility of snapping.

One thing i've noticed is the font rendering in IE is awful. I mean really bad compared to chrome or firefox.

Now the downside is Chrome isn't a good alternative to IE as the Metro UI is awful (they've basically just taken the same UI as the desktop version) and Firefox has discontinued Metro support.

Is there anyway to improve IE font rendering?

gdir

Do you see bad font rendering only in MUI IE or also in desktop IE? Is every website affected or is it only a certain font on a certain website?

To be honest I'm a little surprised. IE's font rendering, based on DirectWrite, was a actually kind of a benchmark for Chrome. I'm a Chrome user and I know that the Chrome developers had a lot of work to catch up with IE's font rendering. Prior to Chrome 37 IE's font rendering on high-dpi displays was definitely much better than Chrome's. Now I would say they are both equal.

Last edited:
OP
D

DeltaXray

Appears to be just MUI IE. If I snap desktop IE by the side on the same page it's like I'm looking at two different websites. Appears to happen on all sites as well.

gdir

OK, I don't know enough about MUI IE to be more helpful. Maybe some MUI IE users can help.

bluegrass

I just started using MUI IE and so far, I haven't got any complaints. I was even doing some editing last night with IE MUI in the portrait mode and it was a dream to do editing with. I use Bandzoogle to design my website. Below is a screenshot I took while viewing the site with MUI IE.

website screenshot.jpg

Can you show us a screen shot and describe what text looks bad to you.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Could you give us examples? I use MUI all the time and haven't had an issue....

malberttoo

Same here, Modern IE is my go-to browser on the SP3 and it is beautiful.

We need a screenshot to see what you're seeing...