What's new

Ballmer reflects on time with Microsoft: ‘I’m big, I’m bald and I’m loud’

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Steve-Ballmer-010.jpg

Give outgoing Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer credit: He seems to be very in touch with who he really is. In a lengthy interview with The Wall Street Journal, Ballmer said that he decided to step down from Microsoft because he wasn’t moving fast enough to get the company’s mobile products up to speed with Apple and Google. What’s more, Ballmer’s talks with Ford CEO Alan Mulally made him seriously rethink the way that he’d been running Microsoft during his tenure, which caused him to put more of an effort on teamwork and less on competitive pressure between divisions.

“I’ll remake my whole playbook, I’ll remake my whole brand,” Ballmer explained.

But as Ballmer began to bring his management teams together to forge a sense of unity and solidarity with one another, many apparently didn’t believe that Ballmer was serious about making fundamental changes to the way that Microsoft has traditionally worked.

“I’m big, I’m bald and I’m loud,” Ballmer said, describing his management style. “No matter how fast I want to change, there will be some hesitation from all constituents — employees, directors, investors, partners, vendors, customers, you name it — to believe I’m serious about it, maybe even myself… At the end of the day, we need to break a pattern. Face it: I’m a pattern.”

Continue Reading @: Ballmer reflects on time with Microsoft: ?I?m big, I?m bald and I?m loud? | BGR

Surface2Air

Geez, NOW I Like the Guy!

Funny, but I've gained a lot more respect for Steve Ballmer since he's announced his retirement. It seems like he's now finally figured out a long term vision for Microsoft, albeit a tad late. Being late to the mobile party, however, doesn't necessarily mean things can't be turned around, and the fact that Mr. Ballmer still is putting all his effort and energy into the company in the waning days of his stewardship says a lot about his character, whether or not we have, er, seen eye to eye on things.

I wonder if the restructuring and other changes should be carried out by him, the outgoing CEO, or by his replacement. It could hamstring the new CEO and hurt his/her effectiveness. Then again, MS needs change, and quickly.

I think Steve Ballmer, to his credit, has Microsoft on a good trajectory for the future. I'm gonna miss his bluster; he truly is a one of a kind CEO.