What's new

Battery charge port bent pin...repairing???

apizano

Hey guys, on my Surface book I just noticed today to my dismay that one of the pins on the battery charging port (where you plug in the magnetic surface charger) is rising upward/bent. It looks like its going to fall off pretty soon (pic below). It looks like my SB is still charging for the time being, but I don't want it to fall off or bend more in the few weeks and then become unusable because I'm on spring break right now (student) and only have time to fix it now. Also, my warrant expires 5/17/2017.

Have any of you guys dealt with Microsoft repair or sent in a product? Should I get this fixed now? I'm pretty sure everytime I plug in the charger it is further dislogding the pin etc..:
SvAodxF.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/SvAodxF.jpg

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's what the warranty is for :) Send MS a message and hopefully they will sort you out. I've never had a problem with them. Better sooner than later. Last thing you want is to leave it and then end up with a SB that won't charge right in the middle of term time.

OP
apizano

apizano

That's what the warranty is for :) Send MS a message and hopefully they will sort you out. I've never had a problem with them. Better sooner than later. Last thing you want is to leave it and then end up with a SB that won't charge right in the middle of term time.

Thank you. That's what I'll do. I was on the phone for 30-1hr yesterday and you can just ship it back or go to a local MS store (nearest one to me is 1hr away).

They said they replace all units with a refurb, I was expecting them to fix mine. But yes, my warranty expires in May, so I only have 2 months and REALLY don't want the charger to go out completely (it seems to still charge at the moment) while I'm in school!

Thanks!

georgestephanis

So, I had the same problem -- but it's actually not a big deal.

If you look at the connector that plugs into the port, all of the 12 pins -- six top and six bottom -- all contact the same metallic strip on the connector. So they're all `ground` wires connected to a common ground. One of them being broken or not making contact shouldn't matter, as all the others should still make contact.

So I'd say either bend it back with a pair of tweezers, but if it snaps off -- no big deal. I'd only worry if you're losing a lot of them.