What's new

Best 2TB external USB 3.0 drive for SP3

OP
L

Len J

WiFi wont work as part of the use of the SP3 is photographic centric travel. I really want/need a wired, portable external drive.

thanks.

Len

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you use a portable size drive, you'll want to get a 6' "split" USB cable (unless you already have another plan worked out) to reach from the drive, to the Surface Pro power brick USB port. I have seen several people complaining that USB port on the SP3 itself can't power the drive. But the cord from the wall to the power brick is so short, and the distance from the SP3 to the brick so long, that's difficult to get power from the brick and still plug the drive into the SP3.

This is what I got for my drives... http://amzn.com/B00439567Q
Is that Y cable the right configuration looks like you still have to have the power brick pretty close to the SP3.

yonghong

If you use a portable size drive, you'll want to get a 6' "split" USB cable (unless you already have another plan worked out) to reach from the drive, to the Surface Pro power brick USB port. I have seen several people complaining that USB port on the SP3 itself can't power the drive. But the cord from the wall to the power brick is so short, and the distance from the SP3 to the brick so long, that's difficult to get power from the brick and still plug the drive into the SP3.

This is what I got for my drives... http://amzn.com/B00439567Q

unfortunately it's not usb 3.0 cable ,oh no

tuchas

I know we're talking about 2TB drives, but I wanted to put a word in for the Oyen Digital U32 Shadow™ 480GB External USB 3.0 Portable Solid State Drive. At $289 it's pricey, but not for an external SSD. The thing is lightning fast on my SP3 and requires no additional power. It works like a charm. When you are working with multiple VMs like I am, this is the way to go, but even for storing media and other files, this thing rocks. You can find it on Amazon's web site.

OP
L

Len J

I know we're talking about 2TB drives, but I wanted to put a word in for the Oyen Digital U32 Shadow™ 480GB External USB 3.0 Portable Solid State Drive. At $289 it's pricey, but not for an external SSD. The thing is lightning fast on my SP3 and requires no additional power. It works like a charm. When you are working with multiple VMs like I am, this is the way to go, but even for storing media and other files, this thing rocks. You can find it on Amazon's web site.

With a current catalog of 750gb of pics, this might not work. ;-)

mohcho

I'm confused, you said in your original post that you don't always need the pictures with you, and then later you said you do. Which is it?

I would be scared to carry that much data around if that's your only backup source. I would synchronize a portable 2TB drive with a mirrored or RAID NAS setup that is secure at home/office.

malberttoo

Is that Y cable the right configuration looks like you still have to have the power brick pretty close to the SP3.

Yeah it was kind of a bummer, but the only cable I could find that got close enough to what I wanted. So I added another 6' plain old USB extension cable to the one side. Sounds a little messy, but I cleaned it up with some cable wrap and it looks kinda s̶u̶p̶e̶r̶ ̶c̶u̶s̶t̶o̶m̶ high tech now...:cool:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just get one of these with two 1TB SSDs. :)

I'm using one of these single drive docs with 3 port hub + 2 USB 3.0 Gb NICs.
Its part of an elaborate and somewhat convoluted portable demo system for VDI connected to a laptop with 32gb ram. No, my SP3 will not be replacing that :)

Last edited:
OP
L

Len J

I'm confused, you said in your original post that you don't always need the pictures with you, and then later you said you do. Which is it?

I would be scared to carry that much data around if that's your only backup source. I would synchronize a portable 2TB drive with a mirrored or RAID NAS setup that is secure at home/office.

Sorry I wasn't clear.

I use the SP3 in my business... Which is not photography. So I don't need to carry the pics w me when I'm working.

Much of my photo processing is done at home. If this were all of my processing at home, I'd already be set as I have duplicate backups on desktop HD's. However, several times a year I take photo centric trips which require me to have my catalog with me..... Hence the need for a portable external HD.

Len