What's new

best android emulator

Liam2349

If I wanted to use Android apps (I use to own an Android, I'd just pick up a cheap Android tablet. There a dozens of them out there. I've never heard of any OS emulators that didn't have a significant impact on speed, but I suppose if there was one useful app that only ran on an Android, it might push me to try. I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen.

Sort of defeating the point of Surface - your all-in-one becomes an all-in-two.

I could buy an Android tablet, I just don't want to carry it.

Haldi

Oh? You got it running on the Surface Pro 3 ? Without Touch Input and no WiFi ?

btw, Did you install full android on your SF3 or did you install this as a window application?
It should be possible to use an android app like SetCPU or noFrills CPU clock to change the max clock of the intel CPU?

Liam2349

Oh? You got it running on the Surface Pro 3 ? Without Touch Input and no WiFi ?

btw, Did you install full android on your SF3 or did you install this as a window application?
It should be possible to use an android app like SetCPU or noFrills CPU clock to change the max clock of the intel CPU?

No no, I just looked at it - went to their website, checked the forum. If it was available to install I would probably try it in the hypervisor first.

bmack

YouTube Android x86. You can install Android directly to your device and dual boot. No, need to run virtual machines

Liam2349

YouTube Android x86. You can install Android directly to your device and dual boot. No, need to run virtual machines

I meant more for testing purposes. Really though, there are only a couple of things I want from Android - switching OS all the time could be a bit irritating.

I just installed Duos-M today and was able to test it briefly. Here are my findings:

1) I haven't tested any apps yet but the UI seems responsive enough.
2) When Duos is minimized (not closed), SP3 won't sleep properly (during the 2 hours I left it unused, it used about 3 times the battery (1000 mW pert hour instead of the normal 300 mW per hour).
3) When I closed (exited) Duos, SP3 sleeps properly as before.

Based on my short experience, this looks promising. I'll keep it for the 30 day free trial period and decide if I want to own it for $10.

r0b123

Can you install Apps from the store with this or is it only able to run "Projects"?

Unfortunately it's not supported yet due to licensing. My bad as I know many of us tend to install and run apps from the Google Play store. I hope they're working on this soon with future updates.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unfortunately it's not supported yet due to licensing. My bad as I know many of us tend to install and run apps from the Google Play store. I hope they're working on this soon with future updates.
IOW reach around your back up underneath your shirt and down your sleeve to apply salve to your elbow with a toothpick. :eek: . :D

Haldi

You mean this? http://www.android-x86.org/ xD

Hi:

I'm not sure if there was some changes specifically for Surface Pro 3 on the last version of Android x86 (4.4-r2) but as of 20/01/15 (Jan 20, 15) touchscreen is working very well, an Type Cover works also, with backlight included.

What's left as of now:

-Battery
-Wi-Fi
-Bluetooth
-Sensors

For the battery: : unplugged from the charger shows a 0% level, and plugged shows that it's charging, but the battery level it's not recognized at all, only shows that 0% at all times.

And the sensors don't seem to be working very well -for example the screen will rotate to portrait if forced by an app, but then it will be stuck like that.
from here: https://code.google.com/p/android-x86/issues/detail?id=1613

Last time i checked Touchscreen didn't work ^^ so that was a NoGo.

But still, i think that the pure "DualBoot" is to much work, better such a Console OS thingy that has both nativ but allows for easy switching with Live systems.