What's new

Boot issues caused by removing Linux

jordar

Hi all, so I recently tried to install Ubuntu (dualbooting) onto my surface just to give it a try and I ended up deciding to switch back because the computer would boot to Ubuntu by default without asking.
So, in a stroke of stupidity, I simply got rid of the Ubuntu partition. Now, I have the issue where my computer attempts to boot into the nonexistent Ubuntu partition. I tried installing rEFInd to bypass UEFI but I still get the same problem.

Any help?

Intangir

I had this happen once on my PC. I think it had to do with Linux editing the MBR, but not fully removing itself when uninstalled. I can't recall how I fixed it, but it is a common problem so a quick Google search should come up with some results on fixing it.

Cowboy

Remember, the Surface operating system is installed on a GPT disk, so no MBR; well just a protective MBR. So you would have to boot the system into WinPE using a Windows 8 UEFI install image on a USB stick or just a vanilla UEFI WinPE image. Then run BCDEDIT and select the proper values for the device in windows boot manager, probably partition=\device\harddiskvolume2. And then in boot loader verify both device and osdevice are set to partition=C: That will probably do it. Just make sure it is a valid UEFI boot or BCDEDIT will not be able to find the BCD.

Search tags for this page

bcdedit ubuntu 13.04 surface pro

come back from ubuntu surface pro

comletely remove ubuntu from surface pro

remove linux from surface

remove ubuntu surface pro

surface pro boot ubuntu

surface pro linux issues

surface uefi bypass

Members online

No members online now.