What's new

Bricked Surface Pro on Day 1 - HELP

maxrg

After standing in line for 3-hours, my wife finally got her surface Pro. She was playing with Office 365 and the device just froze so she pressed the power button to turn the device off and when she turns it on the Surface displace the black screen with word surface in white, then that vanished and 6 seconds later she is in a text menu that says:

Security Device Support [Disabled]

Secure Boot Control [Disabled]

Exit Setup

Version 2.15.1226. Copyright (c) 2012 American Megatrends, Inc.

- The touch screen is enabled
- She has the ability to enable or disable Security Device Support
- if we enable Secure boot control the following menu options are displayed

Install Default Secure Boot Keys (pressing gives yes or no option)
Delete all secure boot keys

We have tried just about every combination of settings in this menu but after pressing exit setup the surface reboots and returns to this menu

- I have tried holding the volume up + power and volume down + power and tried various key

Any Ideas

OP
M

maxrg

MS Support is closed so I have an appointment tomorrow at the MS store to have them look / replace and they said they just got more units in stock and will reserve one for me

bosamar

To restore the factory image

Restart the Microsoft Surface unit.

Press BACKSPACE during the initial BIOS post.
(If BACKSPACE does not open the BIOS setup utility, press the DELETE key instead. On Microsoft Surface units with an older BIOS version, the BACKSPACE key does not open the BIOS setup utility.)

Press F8 to access advanced boot options.

On the Advanced boot options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight Repair your computer, and then press ENTER.

Select a keyboard layout, and then click Next.

Enter the user name and password of an administrator, and then click OK.

Select Command prompt, and then open the D:\recovery directory.

Enter recovery.cmd, and then press ENTER.
The Recovery command might take several minutes to finish.

Restart the Microsoft Surface unit.

Last edited:
OP
M

maxrg

I greatly appreciate the copy and paste but none of the above steps worked. Been working on this for hours

bosamar

That was straight from Microsoft. I figured with the keyboard attached it would just require a reboot and pressing DELETE or F8.

highpocketsd

I have had the exact same experience. I can do nothing to get by this page that you describe above.

I notice an orange blinking light in the vent behind the Pen (in it's docked position), but nothing will get me past this screen. I have used the machine for less than an hour. Just long enough to load Office 2013 on it. Very disappointed...

bosamar

Did you let it charge to 100% initially or just plugged it in and started using it. I'm sure Windows Update would need to run first.

Klownicle

I haven't taken a chance in formating my surface pro yet, but the term brick is associated with arm type devices. As this is a PC there is no "bricking" here.

EllingHofland

I'm having the same issues with mine. I got on the phone with Surface support yesterday and they were going to research the issue for a day and call me back. I just dumped all of my files onto the hard drive too (stupid me) so my whole life is stuck on this surface that can't boot. I'm guessing this is a software issue so hopefully they'll have a workaround soon. Glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem.

J515OP

Super Moderator
I haven't taken a chance in formating my surface pro yet, but the term brick is associated with arm type devices. As this is a PC there is no "bricking" here.

Unfortunately them term brick has been coopted by the average user to mean "not working". Real bricks mean just that, can't be used for anything but stacking. Can't tell you how many times I have heard the term misused as in "I drained my battery and bricked my device because now it won't turn on."

Um did you try recharging it?

"That worked!"

:crazy:

OP
M

maxrg

Thank you for all your replies. I spoke with Microsoft Surface Support and my technician who was very nice had not heard of this issue. He also said he would do some research and if I get an update I will post it here. I'm very sorry that others are having this issue as well. When we do get the new unit today we will be sure to charge it fully.