What's new

Bricked

lennywc

I just bought a 64gb pro,
windows 10 per installed and it was hanging up being unstable so I thought I would do a factory reset . Well it froze in the process of doing the reset and never came back. Now the surface name boots up but flashes and screen goes black then it repeats this process ad infinitum. Basically it is bricked . Help. I have no other computer I cannot download files to fix. All I have is an iPad. What do I do ? Just take it back to bestbuy? I bought it 8 days ago.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hold the power button for 30-35 seconds. then do the volume up and power button. If it goes into a loop again you'll need a recovery USB.

OP
L

lennywc

I cannot do a recovery because I have no way of downloading files. It is ,y only machine that was capable of downloading files my iPad will not do that . So you are saying I am finished? I now own a 1000 $ brick.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I cannot do a recovery because I have no way of downloading files. It is ,y only machine that was capable of downloading files my iPad will not do that . So you are saying I am finished? I now own a 1000 $ brick.

How can an iPad not download files?

And as stated, just take it back.

OP
L

lennywc

Yeah that is all I can do I guess. But now I am spooked. Should I get another? What caused this to happen in the first place? I would feel much more confidant about getting a replacement if I knew what caused this catastrophic failure. I don't want to repeat this process. I do love the surface but is it ready for prime time ?

OP
L

lennywc

Do I know it really? I do not know what is going on . Please some one explain. How can I know what caused this? I have never used a surface before nor windows 10.

OP
L

lennywc

How can an iPad not download files?

And as stated, just take it back.
Well iPad will not allow downloading of many types of files and if you do there is no external place to put them. It has no file system at least none that users are allowed to see. If you owned one you would understand. It is really the worse thing about iOS on iPads . Apple does not allow file systems they don't want the iPad to compete with MacBooks . I have jail broken them that gets around the file system problem but still it is not a good situation. I will bring the surface back . But until I know what caused this I will get a refund . Perhaps try surface 4 when it is offered. Other users on reddit are warning about doing factory resets . Many claim there is a serious bug related to doing factory resets and it causes bricking. Just found this up on reddit. That is worrisome.