What's new

Cannot detach tablet - 3D Paint Running

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Just because the Paint 3D app isn't being actively used doesn't mean it's not still running in the background. You have to manually close it out in task manager, but I've got in the habit of just shutting it down before releasing the screen because something is always running in the background that's going to prevent it from detaching.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I don't know what to tell you - all I did was close it as you see above. It is possible that this is a bug in RS2 and RS3, I'm running Insider Fast RS4...

OP
N

Nozmo

I don't think it is always running. It just suddenly starts up or is recognized in some way. It just a sporatic thing, that is very annoying.

rolldog

I don't know what to tell you - all I did was close it as you see above. It is possible that this is a bug in RS2 and RS3, I'm running Insider Fast RS4...
I'm running the latest Insider Fast Ring of Windows 10 on my desktop and an older laptop, so I updated my Surface Book 2 to the same. Come to find out, it gave me lots of issues. After talking with someone at Microsoft, they recommended that I roll back my Windows 10 version to the latest public release, and after I did this, everything that I had issues with started working again.

Specifically, I have a Samsung Odyssey HMD that wouldn't work with my Surface Book 2, but after rolling back Windows 10 to the public release and installed the Surface app and drivers, it started working like a charm. I wouldn't be surprised if this if the Insider Edition might be the cause of any problems you might be having.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I'm running the latest Insider Fast Ring of Windows 10 on my desktop and an older laptop, so I updated my Surface Book 2 to the same. Come to find out, it gave me lots of issues. After talking with someone at Microsoft, they recommended that I roll back my Windows 10 version to the latest public release, and after I did this, everything that I had issues with started working again.

Specifically, I have a Samsung Odyssey HMD that wouldn't work with my Surface Book 2, but after rolling back Windows 10 to the public release and installed the Surface app and drivers, it started working like a charm. I wouldn't be surprised if this if the Insider Edition might be the cause of any problems you might be having.

Sorry you confuse my post - I'm running the Insider Fast and I don't have the issues the others are facing.

OP
N

Nozmo

Are there any additional thoughts on this problem/issue? How about changing the graphic card setting to Auto Select? Does that make sense?

chekhonte

You can't uninstall it via normal means. You have to use commands in windows powershell. You can just google it.

Lloyd Loisel

I have the same SB2 issue. After waking up from a short sleep, Paint 3d is always running "in the background". Wrote a short script to quickly kill the background process until permanent fix from MS. Working to set up an automated "triggered" task to run upon waking up (still have not found the right trigger yet).

BTW: I have ensured Paint 3d cannot run in the background via settings, and even forced Paint 3d to NOT use the Nvidia GPU only Intel, but neither had an effect. I use it occasionally so removal is not an option.

Everyone, please use the Feedback Hub to express problem/displeasure, or up-vote an existing problem report. The HUB is how MS populates its "fix-it list".... May have to live with this until next public OS update.

UPDATE: May have been fixed by MS. Paint 3d update happened. I removed my fix and the detach notice DID NOT COME BACK after a return from sleep. Keeping fingers crossed......

Last edited: